Kaitai is currently a lecturer (assistant professor) at SCCS (which is one of the top 14 Academic Centres of Excellence in Cyber Security Research recognised by the UK Government Communications Headquarters in partnership with the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council) and Department of Computer Science, University of Surrey, U.K. His main research interests are applied cryptography, privacy and security in information technology; in particular, encryption, signature, blockchain security, cloud computing security, Internet of things, post-quantum crypto, privacy enhancing technology and lightweight secure system.
He has published over 60 research works with at least 1,5k citations, related to applied cryptography and information security in high tier (Q1 and top 3 of google scholar computer security and cryptography ranking) security international journals and conferences (e.g., IEEE TIFS, ESORICS). He also has prepared (proposal writing) and involved into five European projects (e.g., H2020, UK, Academic of Finland) as PI or CI. He has experience in collaborating with (projects, funding and research) international industries and companies, and in teaching undergraduate, master levels computer science courses and PhD supervision.
He received the Ph.D. degree in computer science (applied cryptography direction) at the Department of Computer Science, City University of Hong Kong, under the supervision of Duncan S. Wong (currently CEO of CryptoBLK) in October 2014. Before joining Surrey, he was a post-doctoral researcher and a lecturer, at Department of Computer Science, Aalto University, and School of Computing, Mathematics and Digital technology, Manchester Metropolitan University, respectively.
- Coronavirus advice and guidance. If you are not well and do have flu-like symptoms, such as tiredness, dry cough, sore throat and high temperature or any difficulty breathing, please call NHS 111 immediately and try to keep yourself in a safe area. If in the last 14 days, you have travelled to high risk area or been contact with someone with flu-like symptoms, please keep monitoring your health and if necessary please contact any university staff and security asap. Please keep hands clean, stay healthy, and feel free to seek help from us and NHS.
- We are very pleased to inform that our H2020 project ASSURED (no.952697) (4.9 million euros) is granted by EU Commission. Thanks all the partners (TUE,TUD,Martel,DTU,Space Hellas,Intrasoft,and others) for their hard works and look forward to the kick-off meeting.
- Congrats to George, and the paper "On-the-fly Privacy for Location Histograms" is accepted by IEEE TDSC.
- We are pleased to announce that ESORICS 2020 will be hosted by SURREY. Please submit your research works and welcome to the event.
- Welcome submissions to the Workshop on Intelligent Offloading for Internet of Things (affiliated with ICCCN 2020) and Workshop on Cyber-Security Threats, Trust and Privacy Management in Software-defined and Virtualized Infrastructures.
- We are currently planning to recruit PhD students supported by CSC. The CSC granted applicants will be top-upped industrial and university funding. That will be a great studentship package. We are welcome all to apply.
- [publication update] Our paper: BPAS: Blockchain-Assisted Privacy-Preserving Authentication System for Vehicular Ad-Hoc Networks is accepted by IEEE TII, congrats to Qi.
- [publication update] Our paper: SoProtector: Safeguard Privacy for Native SO Files in Evolving Mobile IoT Applications is accepted by IEEE IoT, congrats to Wei.
- [publication update] Our paper: Towards Practical Privacy-Preserving Processing over Encrypted Data in IoT: An Assistive Healthcare Use Case is accepted by IEEE IoT, congrats to Linzhi.
- [publication update] Our paper: Efficient Attribute-Based Data Sharing Scheme with Hidden Access Structures is accepted by the Computer Journal, congrats to Yang.
- IAS Fellowship (This scheme (£5000) supports visits from international scholars to the University, deadline 31st Oct 2019). Please feel free to contact me if you are interested in these applications.
- [publication update] Our paper: Practical Attribute-Based Conjunctive Keyword Search Scheme is accepted by the Computer Journal, congrats to Yang.
- [publication update] Our paper: Was I Eclipsed? A Smart Detector of Eclipse Attacks to Ethereum is accepted by Computer & Security, congrats to Xu.
- [publication update] Our paper: An efficient blind filter: Location privacy protection and the access control in FinTech is accepted by FGCS, congrats to Li.
- Congrats Mr. Rui Wang is granted tuition fee free wavier, and welcome him to join us.
- It's my honour to work with eTEU (SMEs, blockchain company) in innovation project.
- It's my honour to serve as associate editor for the Computer Journal.
- We welcome Mr. Long Meng to join us as a PhD student.
- Welcome Mr. Chris Ridden to join us as a PhD student.
Google citation: https://scholar.google.com.hk/citations?user=_qHKRH4AAAAJ&hl=en
"As one of the researchers in the field of applied crypto and cybersecurity, you may consider to submit your publications to Top publications in Computer Security and Cryptography".
Areas of specialism
University roles and responsibilities
- Applicant Day Coordinator
- Academic Integrity Officers
- Year 3 coordinator
Affiliations and memberships
Program Committee, organizing committee and publicity chair of the ESORICS 2020.
post-quantum (lattice-based) crypto - making your system hold against quantum computer's attacks, aiming for future security high ground
blockchain - securing your data log via immutability and traceability
trusted computing (TPM) - injecting hardware root of trust into your applications
privacy-enhancing technologies, applied crypto general - leveraging secure tools to safeguard user privacy and data security
searchable encryption - masking your query over encrypted data to provide query and content secrecy
consensus and smart contract - blockchain inner building blocks
and password-based encryption, IoT security, lightweight secure system,
attacks on (lattice-based) secure systems.
Newcastle University, Monash University, University of Wollongong, Deakin University, University of Melbourne
Hong Kong Polytechnic University, City University of Hong Kong, University of New Brunswick, University of Kentucky
National University of Singapore, Singapore Huawei, I2R, NUS-Singtel Cyber Security Research and Development Laboratory, Singapore Management University
Peking University, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications, Central China Normal University, Beihang University, Guangzhou University, East China Normal University, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Wuhan University
Osaka University, JAIST, The University of Texas at San Antonio, New Jersey Institute of Technology
ObjectTech, Onboard Security, AtCipher, CryptoBLK, ASTRI
and all the projects' partners (e.g., IBM, INFINEON)
Postgraduate research supervision
PhD students (my role):
Rui Wang with Dr. Yunpeng Li (primary supervision)
Chris Ridden with Prof. Liqun Chen (primary supervision)
Stephen Holmes with Prof. Liqun Chen (primary supervision)
Wei Yin (Visiting PhD) with Prof. Liqun Chen (primary supervision)
Yi Zhao (Visiting PhD) with Prof. Liqun Chen (co-supervision)
Long Meng with Prof. Liqun Chen (co-supervision)
Kent Leeding with Prof. Steve Schneider (co-supervision)
Daniel Gardham with Dr. Mark Manulis (co-supervision)
- 2018/2019, 2019/2020, COM3026 Distributed Systems (undergraduate), University of Surrey, UK.
- 2017/2018, 2018/2019, 2019/2020, COMM046 Multimedia Security and Digital Forensic (postgraduate), University of Surrey, UK
- 2016/2017, 6G5Z1102_1617_9Z6 Algorithms and Data Structures (undergraduate), Manchester Metropolitan University, UK
- 2016/2017, 6G4Z1101_1617_9Z6 Programming (undergraduate), Manchester Metropolitan University, UK
- 2015, T-79.4502 Cryptography and Data Security (postgraduate), Aalto University, Finland
- 2012/13, CS1302 Introduction to Computer Programming (undergraduate), CityU, Hong Kong
- 2011/12, CS3391 Advanced Programming (undergraduate), CityU, Hong Kong
- 2011/12, CS3342 Software Design (undergraduate), CityU, Hong Kong
Please refer to my DBLP for publications.
IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Q1, Top 3 in Google Scholar Top publications - Computer Security & Cryptography;
IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, Q1
Computers & Security, Q1, Top 8 in Google Scholar Top publications - Computer Security & Cryptography;
(ACM on Asia Conference on Computer and Communications Security, Top 13 in Google Scholar Top publications - Computer Security & Cryptography; )
Security and Communication Networks, Top 20 in Google Scholar Top publications - Computer Security & Cryptography;
Future Generation Computer Systems, Q1
IEEE Transactions on Computers, Q1
IEEE NETWORK, Q1
Theoretical Computer Science, Q1
Note the publication data below was not updated since 2018. Please refer to my DBLP for the latest publications.
Peng Zhang, Zehong Chen, Joseph K. Liu, Kaitai Liang, Hongwei Liu:An efficient access control scheme with outsourcing capability and attribute update for fog computing. Future Generation Comp. Syst. 78: 753-762 (2018)
Junwei Zhou, Hui Duan, Kaitai Liang, Qiao Yan, Fei Chen, F. Richard Yu, Jieming Wu, Jianyong Chen:Securing Outsourced Data in the Multi-Authority Cloud with Fine-Grained Access Control and Efficient Attribute Revocation. Comput. J. 60(8): 1210-1222 (2017)
Shulan Wang, Kaitai Liang, Joseph K. Liu, Jianyong Chen, Jianping Yu, Weixin Xie:Attribute-Based Data Sharing Scheme Revisited in Cloud Computing. IEEE Trans. Information Forensics and Security 11(8): 1661-1673 (2016)
Kaitai Liang, Xinyi Huang, Fuchun Guo, Joseph K. Liu:Privacy-Preserving and Regular Language Search Over Encrypted Cloud Data. IEEE Trans. Information Forensics and Security 11(10): 2365-2376 (2016)
Kaitai Liang, Willy Susilo, Joseph K. Liu, Duncan S. Wong:Efficient and Fully CCA Secure Conditional Proxy Re-Encryption from Hierarchical Identity-Based Encryption. Comput. J. 58(10): 2778-2792 (2015)
Kaitai Liang, Liming Fang, Duncan S. Wong, Willy Susilo:A ciphertext-policy attribute-based proxy re-encryption scheme for data sharing in public clouds. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience 27(8): 2004-2027 (2015)
Kaitai Liang, Man Ho Au, Joseph K. Liu, Willy Susilo, Duncan S. Wong, Guomin Yang, Yong Yu, Anjia Yang:A secure and efficient Ciphertext-Policy Attribute-Based Proxy Re-Encryption for cloud data sharing. Future Generation Comp. Syst. 52: 95-108 (2015)
Anjia Yang, Kaitai Liang, Yunhui Zhuang, Duncan S. Wong, Xiaohua Jia:A new unpredictability-based radio frequency identification forward privacy model and a provably secure construction. Security and Communication Networks 8(16): 2836-2849 (2015)
Xinyi Huang, Joseph K. Liu, Shaohua Tang, Yang Xiang, Kaitai Liang, Li Xu, Jianying Zhou:Cost-Effective Authentic and Anonymous Data Sharing with Forward Security. IEEE Trans. Computers 64(4): 971-983 (2015)
Kaitai Liang, Willy Susilo, Joseph K. Liu:Privacy-Preserving Ciphertext Multi-Sharing Control for Big Data Storage. IEEE Trans. Information Forensics and Security 10(8): 1578-1589 (2015)
Kaitai Liang, Willy Susilo:Searchable Attribute-Based Mechanism With Efficient Data Sharing for Secure Cloud Storage. IEEE Trans. Information Forensics and Security 10(9): 1981-1992 (2015)
Yanjiang Yang, Joseph K. Liu, Kaitai Liang, Kim-Kwang Raymond Choo, Jianying Zhou:Extended Proxy-Assisted Approach: Achieving Revocable Fine-Grained Encryption of Cloud Data. ESORICS (2) 2015: 146-166
Clémentine Gritti, Willy Susilo, Thomas Plantard, Kaitai Liang, Duncan S. Wong:Empowering Personal Health Records with Cloud Computing: How to encrypt with forthcoming fine-grained policies efficiently. JoWUA 5(4): 3-28 (2014)
Kaitai Liang, Cheng-Kang Chu, Xiao Tan, Duncan S. Wong, Chunming Tang, Jianying Zhou:Chosen-ciphertext secure multi-hop identity-based conditional proxy re-encryption with constant-size ciphertexts. Theor. Comput. Sci. 539: 87-105 (2014)
Kaitai Liang, Man Ho Au, Joseph K. Liu, Willy Susilo, Duncan S. Wong, Guomin Yang, Tran Viet Xuan Phuong, Qi Xie:A DFA-Based Functional Proxy Re-Encryption Scheme for Secure Public Cloud Data Sharing. IEEE Trans. Information Forensics and Security 9(10): 1667-1680 (2014)
Kaitai Liang, Joseph K. Liu, Duncan S. Wong, Willy Susilo:An Efficient Cloud-based Revocable Identity-based Proxy Re-encryption Scheme for Public Clouds Data Sharing. IACR Cryptology ePrint Archive 2014: 473 (2014)