My research project
The Role of One-Carbon Metabolism in Vascular and Metabolic Diseases: A Genomic Epidemiology Perspective
The aim of my PhD project is to investigate the link between one-carbon metabolism (OCM)- a key biochemical pathway regarded as a cross-link between diet and genome- and vascular (small vessel disease and vascular dementia) and metabolic diseases (type II diabetes) from a genomic epidemiology perspective.
I aim to achieve that through 5 main objectives:
(1) Establish links between OCM, its genetic architecture, and site-specific DNA methylation.
(2) Unravel the genetic basis of the link between OCM and ischaemic stroke and its subtypes.
(3) Unravel the genetic basis of the link between small vessel disease and vascular dementia.
(4) Investigate the translatability of findings from genomic research into long-term clinical application and public health goals.
(5) Unravel the mechanism(s) underpinning the link between OCM, mitochondrial function and metabolic disease.