Dr Nikolaos Papachristou
Academic and research departmentsCentre for Vision, Speech and Signal Processing (CVSSP), Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
I am currently finishing my PhD on "Machine Learning for Exploring and Predicting Cancer Symptom Clusters" at the Centre for Vision, Speech and Signal Processing (CVSSP), University of Surrey. My supervisor is Professor Payam Barnaghi, my co-supervisor is Dr Sarah Allison, and my external supervisor is Professor Christine Miaskowski (University of California, San Francisco).
As a researcher I have worked in designing and evaluating Medical eLearning Systems, implementing a mixed methods study and evaluating patient safety of the healthcare services (i.e., primary care, cancer care, dementia care) in North West London. I have been trained and practiced Evidence Synthesis through systematic reviews, Technology Assessment through quantitative (e.g. regression analysis, analytical modelling) and qualitative methods (e.g. active evaluation, ground theory, thematic analysis). Finally, I have been exploring novel applications of machine learning and network analysis on cancer symptom clusters.
Before my current position I have worked as a research assistant in the Global eHealth Unit of Imperial College London. I have also worked as a Medical Laboratory Technologist/Biomedical Scientist in a hospital, and did e-learning and AI research at University of Patras.
So far, I have studied Medical Laboratory Technology/Biomedical Science (BSc), Life Science Informatics (MSc), Health Technology Assessment (MSc), Education and Pedagogy (Diploma).
From 2012 to 2013 I had the opportunity to experience digital health entrepreneurship on a venture for Childhood Asthma, winning second place at the “Call to Innovation Greece”. I have tried to supplement my knowledge and skills on Digital Health Interventions Design for Chronic Diseases such as Asthma through multidisciplinary digital health workshops (MIT Health and Wellness Innovation 2013), Conferences (Futuremed 2013) and various assignments on courses for Implementation Science and Mobile Health.
- 2nd place at the “Call to Innovation Greece”. The competition was held with the collaboration of TEDxAcademy and Singularity University. (April 2013)
- “Best Collaboration and Teamwork - Group Decision” Award at the MIT Health and Wellness Innovation 2013. (February 2013)
- Among the 20 finalists in the “Launching People Greece” (Samsung) competition. My proposal was on a series of participatory design workshops for the Greek healthcare ecosystem. (February 2013)
- Co-founder and co-curator of the greek healthcare hashtag #opnhealth. #opnhealth was nominated for the best twitter hashtag 2011 at the Greek Web Awards “e-awards 2012”, best twitter organization 2012 at the Greek Web Awards “e-awards 2013”. (2012, 2013)
- 3rd Prize Award in Papageorgiou General Hospital’s (Thessaloniki) contest on “Ideas and proposals for the Improvement of Services, Working Conditions and Resource Saving". (2010)
- Nikolaos Papachristou, The value of Artificial Intelligence in tracking Foodborne Zoonoses (FBZ), Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) and Emerging Threats (ET), One Health EJP Annual Scientific Meeting Satellite Workshop 2019
- Nikolaos Papachristou, "Data analysis in oncology for predicting cancer patients' symptoms during their chemotherapy treatment", 3rd Health Innovation Conference, Athens, Greece. (April 2019)
- Nikos Papachristou, "Self-management and self-care for Multiple Sclerosis", Multiple Sclerosis Scientific Symposium, titled as "Multiple Sclerosis: Now & Tomorrow", at at the Papageorgiou General Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece. (December 2015)
- Nikos Papachristou, "eLearning and diffusion of innovation in healthcare" at 1st #VdGMForum , Barcelona, Spain. (February 2014)
- Nikos Papachristou, "Chronic disease management. Clinical knowledge and state of the art research", Centre of Education and Treatment Eating Disorders (CETED) (July 2019)
- Nikos Papachristou, "Introduction to engineering entrepreneurship in the public health and life sciences domains", for IEEE Region 8 supported by the IEEE Educational Activities Division (EAD). (June 2014)
- Vozikis Athanasios, Papachristou Nikolaos, Matsagos Spyridon, "Seminar on the assessment of quality and cost-effectiveness for clinical laboratory services. Utilisation for sustainability and improvement", 6th Panhellenic PETIE Conference & 1st Scientific Symposium of Biomedical Laboratory Sciences, Athens, Greece. (March 2019)
- Charilaos Lygidakis, Ana Nunes Barata, Raquel Gomez Bravo, Raluca Zoitanu, Peter Sloane, Nikos Papachristou, Ulrik Kirk, “Converging Technology and Primary Care: The Future, Now”, The 19th WONCA Europe Conference, Lisbon, Portugal. (July 2014)
- Nikos Papachristou, “The BioMEDlabs Portal: accumulated experiences and educational prospects”, 1st International Conference on Medical Education Informatics, Thessaloniki, Greece. (2012)
- Nikos Papachristou, “The reality and challenges of mHealth in Greece”, Mobile Monday in Athens, Athens, Greece. (2012)
- Chair of the session "Education, research and clinical practise through Biomedical Informatics Applications", at the "6th Panhellenic PETIE Conference & 1st Scientific Symposium of Biomedical Laboratory Sciences", Athens, Greece. (March 2019)
- Member of the Scientific Committee for the "6th Panhellenic PETIE Conference & 1st Scientific Symposium of Biomedical Laboratory Sciences", Athens, Greece. (March 2019)
- Co-organizer of “#opnHealth hosts TEDxNijmegen” which took place at the Aristotle University Research Dissemination Center, Thessaloniki, Greece. (April 2013)
- Member of the Organising Committee (role: general coordinator) for the conference “The Technologist’s Role in the Current Developments”, at the Papageorgiou General Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece. (October 2012)
University roles and responsibilities
- PhD Candidate on "Machine Learning for Exploring and Predicting Cancer Symptom Clusters"
My research focuses in state of the art applications of machine learning and data analytics models for cancer symptom science, chronic conditions and healthcare services. My research goal is to expand our conceptual knowledge and understanding of symptoms, chronic diseases and co-morbidities through advanced applications of data science models that can represent and materialise efficiently the complexity around human health and illness. Thus, to improve the type of patient care provided for the aforementioned clinical factors through novel artificial intelligence applications.
Demostrator at the following courses:
- Business Analytics
- Computer and digital logic
Supervision and seminars for Medical Laboratory Technologists/Biomedical Scientists interns at the Papageorgiou General Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece. The topics of the seminars were i) Professional and Academic Guidance, ii) Oral and Powerpoint Presentation Skills, iii) Vocational and Life-Long Skills. (2008-2012)
- N Al-Shorbaji, R Atun, J Car, A Majeed, E Wheeler, D Beck, JM Belisario, Z Cotic, PP George, H Hirvonen, HB Hoon, J Kersnik, H Kunz, C Lamberti, Y Li, SL Loong, EM Musulanov, G Netuveli, N Papachristou, K Rasmussen, Salman Rawaf, X Rao, EF Riboli-Sasco, R Sluiter, I Svab, MT Troconis, LT Car, W Wang, PA Wark, E Williams, Y Zhang, JAD Molina, D Zolger, "eLearning for undergraduate health professional education: a systematic review informing a radical transformation of health workforce development", World Health Organization, 2015.
- Hatzilygeroudis Ioannis, Constantinos Koutsojannis, and Nikolaos Papachristou. "Improving the Adaptiveness of an e-Learning System" In Advances in Semantic Media Adaptation and Personalization, pp. 177-198. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2008.
- Nikolaos Papachristou, Payam Barnaghi, Bruce Cooper, Kord M Kober, Roma Maguire, Steven M Paul, Marilyn Hammer, Fay Wright, , Jo Armes, Eileen P Furlong, Lisa McCann, Yvette P Conley, Elisabeth Patiraki, Stylianos Katsaragakis, Jon D Levine, Christine Miaskowski, "Network Analysis of the Multidimensional Symptom Experience of Oncology", Scientific Reports, Nature, volume 9, Article number: 2258, 2019.
- Nikolaos Papachristou, Daniel Puschmann, Payam Barnaghi, Bruce Cooper, Xiao Hu, Roma Maguire, Kathi Apostolidis, Yvette P. Conley, Marilyn Hammer, Stylianos Katsaragakis, Kord M. Kober, Jon D. Levine, Lisa McCann, Elisabeth Patiraki, Eileen P. Furlong, Patricia A. Fox, Steven M. Paul, Emma Ream, Fay Wright, Christine Miaskowski, "Learning from Data to Predict Future Symptoms of Oncology Patients", PLoS ONE 13(12), 2018.
- Nikolaos Papachristou, Payam Barnaghi, Bruce A. Cooper, Xiao Hu, Roma Maguire, Kathi Apostolidis, Jo Armes, Yvette P. Conley, Marilyn Hammer, Stylianos Katsaragakis, Kord M. Kober, Jon D. Levine, Lisa McCann, Elisabeth Patiraki, Steven M. Paul, Emma Ream, Fay Wright, Christine Miaskowski, "Congruence Between Latent Class and K-modes Analyses in the Identification of Oncology Patients with Distinct Symptom Experiences", Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 2017.
- Lorainne Tudor Car, Nikolaos Papachristou, Catherine Urch, Azeem Majeed, Rifat Atun, Josip Car, Charles Vincent, "Prioritizing medication safety in care of people with cancer: clinicians’ views on main problems and solutions", Journal of Global Health, 2017.
- Lorainne Tudor Car, Mona El-Khatib, Robert Perneczky, Nikolaos Papachristou, Rifat Atun, Igor Rudan, Josip Car, Charles Vincent, Azeem Majeed, "Prioritizing problems in and solutions to homecare safety of people with dementia: supporting carers, streamlining care", BMC Geriatrics, 2017.
- Lorainne Tudor Car, Nikolaos Papachristou, Catherine Urch, Azeem Majeed, Mona El–Khatib, Paul Aylin, Rifat Atun, Josip Car, Charles Vincent, "Preventing delayed diagnosis of cancer: clinicians’ views on main problems and solutions", Journal of Global Health, 2016.
- Lorainne Tudor Car, Nikolaos Papachristou, Joseph Gallagher, Rajvinder Samra, Kerri Wazny, Mona El-Khatib, Adrian Bull, Azeem Majeed, Paul Aylin, Rifat Atun, Igor Rudan, Josip Car, Helen Bell, Charles Vincent, Bryony Dean Franklin, "Identification of priorities for improvement of medication safety in primary care: a PRIORITIZE study", BMC Family Practice, 2016.
- Lorainne Tudor Car, Nikolaos Papachristou, Adrian Bull, Azeem Majeed, Joseph Gallagher, Mona El-Khatib, Paul Aylin, Igor Rudan, Rifat Atun, Josip Car, Charles Vincent, "Clinician-identified problems and solutions for delayed diagnosis in primary care: a PRIORITIZE study", BMC Family Practice, 2016.
- Kristine Rasmussen, José Marcano Belisario, Petra A Wark, Joseph Antonio Molina, Stewart Lee Loong, Ziva Cotic, Nikos Papachristou, Eva Riboli–Sasco, Lorainne Tudor Car, Eve Marie Musulanov, Holger Kunz, Yanfeng Zhang, Pradeep Paul George, Bee Hoon Heng, Erica Lynette Wheeler, Najeeb Al Shorbaji, Igor Svab, Rifat Atun, Azeem Majeed, Josip Car, "Offline eLearning for undergraduates in health professions: A systematic review of the impact on knowledge, skills, attitudes and satisfaction", Journal of global health, 2014.
- Pradeep Paul George, Nikos Papachristou, José Marcano Belisario, Wei Wang, Petra A Wark, Ziva Cotic, Kristine Rasmussen, René Sluiter, Eva Riboli–Sasco, Lorainne Tudor Car, Eve Marie Musulanov, Joseph Antonio Molina, Bee Hoon Heng, Yanfeng Zhang, Erica Lynette Wheeler, Najeeb Al Shorbaji, Azeem Majeed, Josip Car, "Online eLearning for undergraduates in health professions: A systematic review of the impact on knowledge, skills, attitudes and satisfaction", Journal of global health, 2014.
- Nikolaos Papachristou, Christine Miaskowski, Payam Barnaghi, Roma Maguire, Nazli Farajidavar, Bruce Cooper and Xiao Hu, "Comparing Machine Learning Clustering with Latent Class Analysis on Cancer Symptoms’ Data", in Proc. of the IEEE-NIH 2016 Special Topics Conference on Healthcare Innovations and Point-of-Care Technologies, November 2016.
- Hatzilygeroudis, Ioannis, Constantinos Koutsojannis, and Nikolaos Papachristou. "Evaluation of usability and assessment capabilities of an e-Learning System for Nursing Radiation Protection", Proceedings of the Twentieth IEEE International Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems. IEEE Computer Society, 2007.
- Hatzilygeroudis, Ioannis, Constantinos Koutsojannis, and Nikolaos Papachristou. "Adding adaptive assessment capabilities to an e-learning system", Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Semantic Media Adaptation and Personalization. IEEE Computer Society, 2006.