External examiners' reports
The University values and takes seriously the reports submitted by its external examiners. The reporting process is fully described in the Code of practice for external examining: taught programmes. Below you will find brief instructions on how to submit your individual module comments and the annual report.
Submitting the Annual external examiner’s report (after the awarding Board of Examiners meeting)
- Please read the notes on the first page of the Annual report form and complete the introductory sections, including the academic year to which your report refers.
- When you have completed the report, please email it to the External Examiners' Inbox, together with the fees/expenses claim form. Information regarding expenses can be found in the Notes of guidance.
- Deadlines for submission of the annual reports:
- Undergraduate programmes: within three weeks after the final (ie end of the academic year) Board of Examiners meeting, normally held at the end of June/beginning of July
- Postgraduate Taught programmes: within three weeks after the final (ie end of the academic year) Board of Examiners meeting, normally held in October/November
- Practitioner Doctorate programmes (taught element only)*: within three weeks after the Board of Examiners meeting, normally held in September - November
There is no need to submit a report following the August reassessment Boards of Examiners unless there are significant issues that have arisen since your previous report.
The Code of practice for external examining: taught programmes also describes the responsibilities for dealing with external examiners' reports within the University, summarised in a flowchart. The University requires that the reports are considered by the Board of Studies (and reported in the Annual Programme Review and at Periodic Reviews). External examiners are advised of the outcome of the consideration of their reports and of specific actions that the first Board of Studies has taken place for undergraduate programmes by the end of November and for taught postgraduate programmes by the end of January.
*For all doctoral-level Viva Voce examinations, including those for Practitioner Doctorate programmes please use the relevant examination Entry Form. For these forms, please consult the PGR Students page.
Submitting individual Module comments (prior to Board of Examiners meetings)
External examiners are full members of the Board of Examiners and, therefore, they are expected to attend and contribute to all Board meetings. External examiners should access samples of marked student work either via SurreyLearn or via alternative arrangements, as appropriate, and provide comments on individual modules prior to the Board of Examiners meetings.
Please note that the Module comments form, once completed, should be submitted BEFORE the Board of Examiners meeting to the relevant Faculty Assessments and Awards team:
- FASS modules: firstname.lastname@example.org
- FEPS modules: email@example.com
- FHMS modules: firstname.lastname@example.org