Validation and periodic enhancement
Each new programme must be considered through the programme viability process. Further information can be found in the Code of Practice for Programme Lifecycle Processes and is overseen by Programme Viability Approval Committee.
The purpose of the Committee will be to assess the viability of each proposal within the following areas:
- Market demand
- Resources required to deliver
- Financial margin
In brief once a proposal has met the requirements for viability within the main areas as detailed above and approved it can then progress to the validation stage. At this stage the programme will be advertised as ‘subject to validation.
All enquiries currently to be sent to email@example.com.
Validation and periodic enhancement
The design and approval process (validation) is the quality assurance mechanism by which a proposed programme of study is scrutinised in order to assure Senate (the academic authority) that the programme meets the University’s expectations for quality and academic standards.
Periodic enhancement is the process by which periodically the University assures itself that existing provision and practices with schools/departments continue to be relevant, current and meet their stated aims and objectives.
- The validation/periodic enhancement process is made up of two stages, initial checks and the validation/periodic enhancement event.
- The outcomes of the initial checks will be conditions/corrections only based on compliance with the University’s regulations, codes of practice and policies.
- Panel members for the validation/periodic enhancement event will consist of:
- a chair
- internal panel member
- student panel member
- external panel member(s)
- event coordinator
- The validation/periodic enhancement event will focus on peer-led discussion, innovation and plans for the future. The outcome of this should be helpful recommendations to further improve the school/departments practices based on, for example, good practice already in use within the University or externally
- The outcomes of the validation/periodic enhancement event will be recommendations, and in exceptional circumstances conditions
- Programmes approved through the validation process will have an open ended approval and will be subject to the periodic enhancement process when their school/department next undertake the process as per the schedule (for periodic enhancement schedule dates please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The periodic enhancement process operates at school/department level.
External panel members
Please note: you may be aware that there are now commitments on employers to ensure that staff are eligible to work in the UK (PDF). This requirement applies to external assessor appointments.
All external assessors are required to provide a photocopy of their passport prior to the validation/enhancement event and should present their current original passport to the event coordinator at the event, to allow recording of sight of the original passport.
Template and guidance documents
Below are the relevant word templates and guidance documents related to these processes.
|Programme specification template (docx)||Programme specification guidance (docx)|
|Module descriptor template (docx)||Module descriptor guidance (docx)|
|External assessor nomination form (docx)|
|Self-evaluation document template (docx)|
|Additional guidance and templates used by the Directorate of Quality Enhancement and Standards|
|Planning meeting notes template and process guidance (docx)|
|Initial checks report template (docx)|
|External assessor claim form (xlsx)|