English Language Support Programme
Our English Language Support Programme (ELSP) provides tailored English language support to all Surrey students registered on undergraduate or postgraduate courses.
Our programme is particularly valuable to students who speak English as a second or additional language, but native speakers are also welcome. Our purpose is to provide the tailored English language support you need during your time at Surrey.
WHY CHOOSE ELSP
- The courses are free
- No assessments or compulsory homework
- All study materials are provided
- All students who enrol in dissertation writing classes are entitled to a one-to-one free dissertation checking service
- We work with many schools and departments to offer ELSP courses to support you in your OWN subject area
- At the end of the course you can download an attendance certificate
WHAT YOU CAN STUDY?
We offer a wide selection of courses including:
- Academic Listening
- Avoiding plagiarism
- Assignment Writing
- Critical reading and note taking
- Critical Thinking
- Dissertation Writing
- English for employment skills
- Grammar for Academic Writing
- Presentation Skills
- Pronunciation Skills
- Technical Writing
ONE TO ONE TUTORIALS
If you attend an ELSP course you can book a 25 minute one-to-one tutorial with an ELSP tutor. These will help and guide you in your academic study. You can be supported with written assignments, presentations and offered study skills advice.These sessions are bookable throughout the week.
ESTABLISHING YOUR NEEDS AND REGISTRATION
At the beginning of your course, normally during Welcome Week, we will invite you to take some online diagnostic tests to help you identify the courses which you are most likely to benefit from.
Courses last from four to nine weeks, and mainly consist of one 50 minute lesson per week. Courses run in both semesters and you may enrol in a maximum of three courses per semester.
HOW TO APPLY
You can enrol on an ELSP course once you are a registered student at Surrey University.