Our Year 12 Residential Masterclasses are two night residential programmes that offer a taste of life at university. While you’re with us you will experience lectures and seminars, take part in social activities, meet like-minded people and stay in university accommodation.
2018 residential masterclasses
These programmes will give you first-hand experience of what studying at university is like, allowing you to explore your chosen subject in greater depth, whilst providing you with an excellent example to help with writing your own personal statement.
There are masterclasses taking place this year, find out more below:
On this residential you will develop an understanding and appreciation of how different healthcare professionals’ roles contribute to the NHS by exploring the health sciences courses we offer at the University of Surrey.
You will have the opportunity to take part in practical sessions in our simulation suite which will allow you use up-to-date equipment and experience a realistic healthcare environment to learn new skills in.
The programme will allow to you explore different aspects of health sciences as well as further your understanding of healthcare in general.
The programme will cover:
- Operating department practice – Operating department practitioners are a vital part of the operating theatre. You’ll get to grips with their varied role, which involves delivering high-quality patient-focused care during anaesthesia, surgery and recovery and responding to patients’ physical and psychological needs.
- Nursing – you will gain an insight into adult, child and mental health nursing and take a further look into patient care within the different nursing disciplines. You will have opportunities to take part in simulated practice learning where you will explore key nursing principles such as critical thinking, decision-making and communication skills.
- Paramedic science –this is an opportunity to learn about the rapid decision-making skills required to be a paramedic and the types of situations that paramedics tackle in their day-to-day careers.
- Midwifery – as one of the UK top universities for nursing and midwifery, you will gain an insight into delivering care to expectant mothers throughout their pregnancy and the importance of being able to assess the mother’s needs.
It’s not all hard work! You’ll also take part in social activities and have the opportunity to explore Guildford with your new friends.
Apply here. Applications will close at midnight on Sunday 17 June 2018.
Masterclass eligibility criteria
To be eligible for the programme, you must be:
A current Year 12 student
- Working to achieve ABB at A Level or equivalent (BBB for Health Sciences Residential Masterclass)
Available for the duration of the programme.
To make an application you will need:
- A short statement detailing interest in your chosen course and your motivation to attend a Residential Masterclass (Maximum 500 words)
- Contact details of a current teacher referee.
There is a cost of £175 to cover your accommodation, meals and activities, however, a number of bursaries covering the cost of the programme and travel are available for eligible students.
You will be automatically assessed for the bursary based on the information you provide on your application form. You may be eligible for a bursary if you attend a UK state school/college and meet one or more of the following criteria:
- You live in a Low Participation Neighbourhood (LPN) as defined by your home postcode
A student eligible for a bursary may come from an area with a low rate of progression to higher education, which is classed as POLAR(3) Quintile 1 or 2. You can check the quintile of your postcode here.
- Your parents are in non-professional occupations (NS-SEC groups 4-8)
You can check the NS-SEC of your parents’ occupations here.
- You are from a low income family (you have been eligible for Free School Meals within the last six years)
- Neither of your parents have attended university
- You are from a black or minority ethnic group
- You have been or are currently living in Local Authority care
- You are from a gypsy or traveller community
- If you are a refugee
- If you have a disability
- If you are a young carer
- If you are an estranged student (if you have no communication with either biological parent and the situation is not expected to change)
- If you are a white male who is eligible for Free School Meals, from NSSEC groups 4-8 or live in a Low Progression Neighbourhood (LPN)
If you are offered a place on the Residential Masterclass and are eligible for a bursary, we will contact you with more information.
If you have any questions about Masterclasses, you can get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01483 688 924.
If you are offered a place on the Residential Masterclass and are eligible for the bursary, we will contact you with more information.
Applications will close at midnight on the date specified. If you have any questions about Masterclasses, you can get in touch with us at email@example.com or call us on +44 (01483 688 924.