Audio-visual and textual analysis using Transana
Getting started with software and early analysis
- Friday 2 February 2018, Registration from 09:45, start time 10:00 to 16:00
- Department of Sociology, University of Surrey, Stag Hill Campus, Guildford, GU2 7XH
- Open to:
- Public, Staff, Students
- Dr Christina Silver
- Admission price:
- Varies according to status
- Admission information:
- To book, and pay for a place using a credit/debit card, please use the on-line Store link.
Tea and coffee is available during breaks but lunch is NOT provided.
Transana supports the management and analysis of audiovisual and textual data.
This one day workshop provides a comprehensive overview of Transana and an opportunity for
participants to practice tasks using sample data. The focus is on gaining confidence in setting up a project
efficiently, managing and organising data, exploring and conceptualising data and interrogating and
The course combines discussion, demonstration and hands-on work, including:
· Contextual discussions – developmental, methodological and analytical principles
· Software Overview –interface, architecture, tools
· Analytic Planning – ensuring analytic strategies drive the appropriate use of software tools
· Guided Instruction – step-by-step teaching in the operation of Transana and the use of tools for
· Individual Support – time for participants to discuss their projects with the Tutor
· Understand the structure of Transana and how it can be used throughout a research project.
· Navigate around the software and operate it to undertake analysis.
· Understand the importance of analytic planning in harnessing Transana tools powerfully.
· Set-up a Transana project to reflect initial research design and change structures as a research
· Identify Transana tools that can be used to fulfil specific analytic tasks.
· Know where to access relevant resources to support continued Transana use.
Dr Christina Silver is the manager of the CAQDAS Networking Project and has been working with and
teaching a range of CAQDAS packages for many years. She is co-author with Ann Lewins of Using
software in qualitative research: a step-by-step guide, and The Five-Level QDA method, with Nicholas Woolf. https://www.surrey.ac.uk/sociology/people/christina_silver/
Pre-requisites, if any (please include information on knowledge of any software if relevant)
This course assumes participants have a broad understanding of qualitative and/or mixed methods methodologies,
but assumes no prior knowledge about Transana.
☐ Advanced (specialised prior knowledge)
☐ Intermediate (some prior knowledge)
☒ Entry (no or almost no prior knowledge)
Participants are requested to read the Transana review before attending this course - available from here: