Dr Wissam A. Albukhanajer
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
Qualifications: PhD (2015) Computing, MSc (2005), BSc (2001) Computer Engineering, MIEEE
Phone: Work: 01483 68 6661
Room no: 02 BA 00
Office hours9:00 - 17:00 (Mon-Fri)
Wissam received the B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Computer Engineering from the University of Basrah, Iraq in 2001 and 2005, respectively and awarded his PhD in Computing from the University of Surrey in 2015.
Wissam began a PhD research with the Department of Computing at Surrey in 2011. He was developing fast algorithms for invariant image identification using Computational Intelligence and Machine Learning techniques. Wissam was affiliated to the Nature Inspired Computing and Engineering (NICE) research group, under the supervision of Prof. Yaochu Jin. The PhD research was funded by EPSRC CASE award studentship. The industrial CASE (Collaborative Awards in Science and Engineering) studentship was awarded via the Digital Systems Knowledge Transfer Network (KTN) through an open competition on behalf of EPSRC (PI, No. 10001560; £89,500, Industrial Partner: Intellas UK Ltd, 01.01.2011-30.06.2014).
Upon finalising his PhD in 2014, Wissam began working as a Research Fellow in the Surrey Technology for Autonomous systems and Robotics (STAR) Lab with Dr Chakravarthini Saaj on STIFF-FLOP project. This project was funded by the European Commission FP7 till late 2015.
He is currently a Post Doctoral Research Fellow in Autonomous Systems in STAR Lab, headed by Prof Yang Gao, developing visual navigation systems for small field autonomous vehicles on rugged terrain with uncertainties such as planetary surfaces or agricultural fields.
Wissam is a reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Soft Computing (Springer), Neural Computing and Applications (Springer) and IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine.
- Nature-inspired machine intelligence and real-world driven problem-solving.
- Autonomous robotics and intelligent systems.
- Multi-objective machine learning.
- Data driven evolutionary optimization of complex systems with uncertainties.
- Multi-objective knowledge extraction from data.
- Hybrid Intelligent Systems: Neural Networks, Fuzzy Systems and Evolutionary Algorithms.
- HCI, virtual reality and wearable computers.
- Cyber security.
- Big data visualisation.
- Neptec (UK & Canada).
- RAL Space (UK).
- China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology (CALT).
- Shengyang Institute of Automation (SIA of CAS).
- Shadow Robot Company Ltd, UK.
- Przemyslowy Instytut Automatyki i Pomiarów (PIAP), (Industrial Research Institute for Automation and Measurements), Poland.
- Tecnalia Research & Innovation, Spain.
Universities and Research Institutes:
- The National Engineering Research Center for Information Technology in Agriculture (NERCITA).
- Beihang University (BUAA).
- China Agricultural University (CAU).
- Strathclyde University, UK.
- King's College London, UK.
- Scuola Superiore SantAnna, Italy.
- Italian Institute of Technology, Italy.
- University of Siegen, Germany.
- Universita Degli Studi Di Torino, Italy.
For Google Scholar citation profile, click here.
Theses and Dissertations:
- W. A. Albukhanajer, "Multi-objective feature extraction and ensembles of classifiers for invariant image identification," PhD Thesis, Department of Computing, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK. 2015.
- W. A. Albukhanajer, "Modeling and Identification of a Turbogenerator Using Fuzzy Neural Networks," MSc Dissertation, Department of Computer Engineering, University of Basrah, Iraq. 2005.
- W. A. Albukhanajer, Y. Jin and J. A. Briffa, "Classifier Ensembles for Image Identification Using Multi-objective Pareto Features," Journal of Neurocomputing, (in Press, Accepted) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neucom.2017.01.067. 29 Jan 2017.
- W. A. Albukhanajer, J. A. Briffa and Y. Jin, "Evolutionary Multi-objective Image Feature Extraction in the Presence of Noise," IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics. Volume:45, Issue: 9, Pages 1757 - 1768. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TCYB.2014.2360074. [PDF] 26 September 2014.
Peer-Reviewed Conference Papers:
- S. M. Mustaza, D. Mahdi, C. Saaj, W. A. Albukhanajer, C. Lekakou, Y. Elsayed and Jan Fras "Tuneable Stiffness Design of Soft Continuum Manipulator," in Intelligent Robotics and Applications, ser. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, H. Liu, N. Kubota, X. Zhu, R. Dillmann, and D. Zhou, Eds. Springer International Publishing, in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Intelligent Robotics and Applications (ICIRA'15), Portsmouth, UK. August 24-27, 2015. Vol. 9246, pp 152-163 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-22873-0_14
- W. A. Albukhanajer, Y. Jin and J. A. Briffa "Trade-off between computational complexity and accuracy in evolutionary image feature extraction," in Proceedings of 2015 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC'15), Sendai, Japan, May 25-28, 2015, pp. 2412-2419. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/CEC.2015.7257184
- W. A. Albukhanajer, Y. Jin, J. A. Briffa "Neural Network Ensembles For Image Identification Using Pareto-optimal Features," in Proceedings of 2014 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC'14), WCCI 2014 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, Beijing, China, July 6-11, 2014. pp. 89 - 96. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/CEC.2014.6900349 [PDF]
- W. A. Albukhanajer, H. A. Lefta, A. A. Ali "Effective Identification of a Turbogenerator in a SMIB Power System Using Fuzzy Neural Networks," in Proceedings of 2014 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), WCCI 2014 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence. Beijing, China, July 6-11 2014, pp. 2804-2811. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/IJCNN.2014.6889607 [PDF]
- W. A. Albukhanajer, Y. Jin, J. A. Briffa and G. Williams "A comparative study of multi-objective evolutionary trace transform methods for robust feature extraction", in Evolutionary Multi-Criterion Optimization, ser. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, R. Purshouse, P. Fleming, C. Fonseca, S. Greco, and J. Shaw, Eds. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2013, vol. 7811, pp. 573-586. http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-37140-0_43 [PDF]
- W. A. Albukhanajer, Y. Jin, J. A. Briffa and G. Williams "Evolutionary Multi-Objective Optimization of Trace Transform for Invariant Feature Extraction" in Proceedings of 2012 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC'12), WCCI 2012 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence. Brisbane, Australia, June 10-15, 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/CEC.2012.6256160 [PDF]
- W. A. Albukhanajer, Y. Jin, J. A. Briffa and G. Williams "Image Identification Using Evolutionary Trace Transform for Copyright Protection" 9th Annual Computing Conference CompConf2012, Department of Computing, University of Surrey, Guildford UK, March 21, 2012.
- Teaching Assistant: COM3012 Parallel Architectures - HE3 (Spring 2013).
- Visiting Tutor: Computer Networks - Year 4 Undergraduate, Computer Engineering (2006-2007).
- Visiting Tutor: Real-Times Computer Systems - Year 4 Undergraduate, Computer Engineering (2006-2007).
- Teaching Assistant: Microcomputers and Microprocessors-II - Year 3 Undergraduate, Computer Engineering (2004-05).
- Teaching Assistant: Microcomputers and Microprocessors-I - Year 2 Undergraduate, Computer Engineering (2002-03).
Surrey Technology for Autonomous systems and Robotics (STAR) Lab.
- University of Surrey\Department of Computing: Staff & PGR Students' Web Content Assistant (October 2011 - March 2014).
- Conference Activities:
- Web Chair, 18th Towards Autonomous Robotic Systems Conference (TAROS-17), 19-21 July 2017, University of Surrey, Guildford, United Kingdom.
- Web Support, 11th Annual Computing Department PhD Conference 2014, March, 2014, University of Surrey, Department of Computing, Guildford, United Kingdom.
Web Chair, 2013 UK Workshop on Computational Intelligence, (UKCI2013), September 9-11, 2013, University of Surrey, Guildford, United Kingdom.
- Web Chair, IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, May 9-12, 2012, San Diego, USA.
- Journals Reviewer
- IEEE Transactions on Image Processing.
- IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation.
- IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics.
- Soft Computing (Springer).
- Neural Computing and Applications (Springer).
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine.
Honours and Awards
- Certificate of Appreciation Award "Recognition of Good PhD progress " from The Iraqi Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research. Iraqi Cultural Centre - London, United Kingdom. 14 March 2014.
- Full financial support to participate in “Latin American e-Science Workshop 2013: Turning Data into Insight” sponsored by Microsoft research and FAPESP, May 13–15, 2013. São Paulo, Brazil.
- Full financial support to participate in “São Paulo School of Advanced Science on e-Science for Bioenergy Research” held at the Brazilian Bioethanol Science and Technology Laboratory, Campinas, SP, Brazil, from October 22nd – 26th, 2012.
- Third Prize IEEE CIS Photo contest competition (Global) 2012.
- Best Student Paper Presentation Award, 9th Annual Computing Conference PhDCompConf2012, Department of Computing, University of Surrey, Guildford, United Kingdom, March 21, 2012.
- PhD Studentship: Industrial CASE Award (Collaborative Awards in Science and Engineering), EPSRC (KTN)/ Intellas, UK, 2010.
- CARA Award, (Regional) United Kingdom, 2010.
- Postgraduate Studentship MSc, University of Basrah, Department of Computer Engineering. Basrah, Iraq, 2001.
- Second Prize, BSc, University of Basrah, Department of Computer Engineering. Basrah, Iraq, 2001.