Incoming Erasmus+ traineeships

Every year, we accept a number of students from other European universities to do an Erasmus+ traineeship at Surrey.

About Erasmus+ traineeships

Erasmus+ traineeships offer students at higher education institutions the opportunity to do an EU-funded period of training or a work placement at a higher education institution or company in another Erasmus+ programme country. The aim is to increase students' labour market skills.

Traineeship placements are full-time and should be relevant to the student's degree-related learning and personal development needs. They are often integrated in the student's study programme, but are also open to recent graduates.

Please note: The University of Surrey has Erasmus+ funding secured until 2023. You will need to check the project duration of your home institution.

Erasmus+ programme countries

The following countries, including the Overseas Countries and Territories of EU Member State countries, can fully take part in all Erasmus+ actions and mobilities:

Member States of the European Union (EU)

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

Non-EU Programme Countries

Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Republic of North Macedonia, Serbia, Turkey.


  • Students must be registered at a higher education institution that has been awarded the Erasmus Charter for Higher Education (ECHE) and is in one of the Erasmus+ Programme Countries
  • Students should be enrolled in studies leading to a recognised degree or other recognised tertiary level qualification, such as a bachelor, master or doctorate
  • Students who are finishing their studies at a higher education institution may apply to do an Erasmus+ traineeship as a recent graduate
  • Students will need to fulfil the selection criteria defined by their higher education institution, which may include academic performance, previous mobility experience, motivation, etc.
  • Students may not do a traineeship in the country where they are studying
  • There is no age limit or nationality restriction
  • Traineeships are open to people with special needs and disabilities and the programme aims to promote equity and inclusion for these learners.

Find out more

For further information, see the European Commission's Erasmus+ Traineeships information and frequently asked questions about Erasmus+

Frequently asked questions

Overview of Erasmus+ Traineeships

Following the withdrawal of the UK from the EU on 31 January 2020:

  • UK beneficiaries (Higher Education Institutions) can continue to take part in grants awarded under the current 7-year EU budget until their end date, even if it is after 2020.
  • The conclusion of the UK Withdrawal Agreement means that higher education institutions and other bodies from programme countries other than the UK can continue to send their students and staff on Erasmus+ mobilities to the UK with funds from the 2019 and 2020 Calls, until the projects finish or until the funds have been exhausted.

Students may do an Erasmus+ traineeship abroad for a period of 2-12 months per study cycle (bachelor/master/doctorate).

Students may receive both an Erasmus+ study grant and an Erasmus+ traineeship grant for a combined total of 12 months per cycle of study.

Successful applicants may be awarded an Erasmus+ traineeship grant by their home institution (not the University of Surrey) to contribute towards the travel and subsistence costs incurred through their traineeship abroad. The National Agency in your country will have details of the grant rates for each Programme Country.

Erasmus+ trainees do not pay fees to the University of Surrey.

At the end of your traineeship abroad:

  • For a traineeship that is an integral part of the curriculum, the sending institution must give full academic recognition for the period spent abroad, by awarding ECTS credits or the equivalent. Recognition will be based on the Traineeship Agreement approved by all parties before the period of mobility.
  • If the traineeship is not part of your curriculum, the sending institution will provide recognition by recording this period in your Diploma Supplement or Europass Mobility Document, or in the case of recent graduates, by providing a traineeship certificate (Table D of the Learning Agreement for Traineeships) or Europass.

Interested students should apply to the International/Erasmus+ office of their sending higher education institution. The office will provide information about their application and selection process, documents you need to prepare, where you can go, how and when to apply for the Erasmus+ traineeship grant and when you would receive it, and the requirements and responsibilities of your period abroad.

Finding an Erasmus+ Traineeship Opportunity at Surrey

If you are not a native English language speaker, you should provide evidence of your English language proficiency when you approach academics at Surrey about traineeship opportunities (e.g. an English qualification or exam results, a course certificate, a formal CEFR assessment by your home institution's languages department, etc.).

Non-UK/Irish students will need to meet the University's English language requirements in order to obtain sponsorship for your visa application.

The University of Surrey’s English language requirement is: 

  • a minimum of IELTS 6.5 overall, with at least 6.0 in each of the components (reading, writing, listening and speaking), or 
  • at least CEFR B2, but ideally C1 (evidenced by a formal English language certificate or an assessment of your four skills by your home institution's languages department), or the equivalent

These are the main English language qualifications we accept, but we will also consider other evidence from prospective trainees.

Test and Linguistic Support

Once a traineeship has been agreed with Surrey and before your departure, your sending institution should ask you to undertake an Erasmus+ Online Linguistic Support assessment test (OLS) to make sure you meet the recommended level at Surrey and to identify any linguistic support needed. The results of this test will not prevent you from undertaking the traineeship and the University of Surrey will not see the results, but your sending institution may grant you access to a free online English language course before and during your stay abroad in order to improve your language competency for your mobility abroad. You will be asked to take a final OLS English language assessment on your return to measure your progress.

The University of Surrey does not have a list of Erasmus+ traineeship opportunities in each department, so eligible students will need to research our website and email appropriate academic staff directly.

The best way to identify researchers in your field/s of interest and to find out their contact details is to visit the ‘Research’ and ‘People’ pages on the relevant Surrey faculty or department webpages.

Students interested in a traineeship in the School of Veterinary Medicine should email: However, please note, the Vet School does not have a companion animal clinic as our students carry out their practical training with private vet practices and we are not able to arrange placements at these for Erasmus+ trainees.

You may email staff at any time of year, but we recommend doing so at least 3 months before your proposed traineeship period as it can take up to 2 months to get sponsorship and a visa.

When you email academic staff at Surrey, please provide:

  • Your preferred mobility period
  • Your academic transcript of records
  • Your CV and your particular research interest/s
  • Evidence of your English language proficiency

Potential supervisors may wish to arrange an online interview to assess your suitability and discuss project options.

We are unfortunately unable to arrange hospital placements (eg. medical, nursing, midwifery, paramedic science) for Erasmus+ trainees at our local hospitals and we do not have a Medical School at the University of Surrey.

Finalising Your Erasmus+ Traineeship

Once a Surrey academic has agreed to supervise your work and you have identified a suitable project or work plan, the Erasmus+ Learning Agreement for Traineeships form needs to be completed. This is the contract between you, your Erasmus+ office and the University of Surrey.

If required, your Surrey supervisor will first complete a Confirmation of Intent from your home institution to support your application for one of your home institution's Erasmus+ traineeship grants, but we will not sign general letters of intent from higher education institutions to host trainees on an ongoing basis.

The traineeship agreement should outline:

  • The practical details such as the main contact details, the hours of work, and the start and end dates, the student's English language level
  • The aims and nature of the work or research and the learning outcomes
  • How the traineeship will be recognised by the home institution
  • Details of any pay or payment in kind
  • Who is providing insurance cover.

For general guidance on how to complete the traineeship agreement, see here.

The process for completing the agreement is as follows:

1. The sending institution or student completes the student's details and their Erasmus+ Office's contact details, followed by Table A (including the student's English language level, how the traineeship will be recognised and whether insurance will be provided) before sending the traineeship agreement (in Word format) to the Surrey supervisor.

2. The Surrey supervisor completes the Surrey Erasmus+ office and Mentor (Surrey academic department colleague) contact details, followed by Table B, which they complete in consultation with the student and their home academic department (including the indicative start and end dates, project title/area of work, working hours per week, the nature of the work and learning outcomes, any pay or payment in kind, any insurance provided by Surrey if the sending institution is not providing it). The supervisor signs and dates the agreement.

3. The Surrey supervisor emails a signed pdf copy to the student and their sending institution's Erasmus+ office for their approval and countersignature.

4. The student/sending institution emails a fully signed and dated pdf copy of the traineeship agreement to the Surrey supervisor and to Surrey's International Engagement Office for their records. The student keeps the original copy.

If your sending institution has indicated in Table B of the Learning Agreement that it WILL provide accident and public liability insurance cover for you whilst you are at Surrey, the University of Surrey will NOT provide insurance cover.

If the sending institution has indicated that it will NOT provide cover, Surrey WILL provide:

  • Accident insurance in the workplace – but NOT for accidents during travels made for work purposes or for accidents on the way to work and back from work. In this case, students must therefore take out their own travel and accident insurance and email a copy of their insurance document to their Surrey supervisor, copied to, prior to their arrival at Surrey.
  • Public liability insurance, but not personal liability insurance.

The University does not provide travel insurance or medical or healthcare cover for visiting staff or students.

Prior to departure, your sending institution should provide you with:

  • The Erasmus+ Learning Agreement for Traineeships regarding the specific programme for the traineeship, approved by you, your sending institution and the University of Surrey – see above.
  • grant agreement covering the mobility period, stating your grant rate (the monthly amount of money you will receive), and signed between you and your sending institution.
  • The Erasmus+ Student Charter which sets out your rights and obligations with respect to your period of training/work experience abroad.

Preparing for Your Stay

After 2020, all non-UK/non-Irish students will need a Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange visa (T5) to do an Erasmus+ traineeship in the UK (this visa replaces the Tier 5 visa).


Before you can apply for a visa, you first need a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) number from the British Council. Your sending institution’s Erasmus+ office will need to complete the Temporary Worker CoS application form and email it to the British Council Tier 5 Team, together with a number of supporting documents. These include:

  • the final, fully signed Erasmus+ Learning Agreement for Traineeships
  • a confirmation letter from the sending institution confirming your total Erasmus+ grant
  • a stamped acceptance letter on headed paper from the host organisation, giving details of your placement
  • your transcript of records from your course (translated into English)
  • a copy of your passport photo page and visa stamps (your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after the placement end date)

It can take up to 4 weeks to receive a CoS number so you will need to allow plenty of time.


Once you have received the CoS, you can apply online for the Temporary Worker visa. You will need to arrange an appointment at your nearest UK visa application centre to have your fingerprints and photo taken as part of your application. You can apply for your visa up to 3 months before the start date of your traineeship. The visa fee is GB£189 for citizens of certain European countries and GB£244 for others. You may also need to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application if you are staying for more than 6 months. The visa processing time is around 3 weeks. 

You will need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from the central Guildford post office within 10 days of when you said you would arrive in the UK.

The University of Surrey does not provide travel, health or medical insurance for incoming Erasmus+ trainees.

In addition, European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs) will not be valid for EU/EEA/Swiss nationals visiting the UK after 2020.

For stays of less than 6 months, you will need to take out travel insurance with health cover before coming to Surrey.

For stays of more than 6 months, non-UK/-Irish students will be required to pay an immigration healthcare charge with their Temporary Worker visa application fee.

The healthcare charge does not provide comprehensive health cover (e.g. it does not include prescriptions, dental care, sight tests or glasses). You may therefore need to take out some health cover with your travel insurance before coming to Surrey (unless these are provided by your sending institution).

If you have a pre-existing medical condition, you will need appropriate medical insurance and to ensure you bring at least a month's supply of any medicine you need. We recommend you fix an appointment with your nearest doctors' surgery (also called a 'GP') in your first week at Surrey.

Some healthcare is provided for free on the UK's National Health Service (NHS) - this includes initial emergency hospital treatment (but not ongoing treatment or repatriation), family planning, and treatment for sexually transmitted and some highly contagious diseases (including initial treatment for Covid-19).

The University has a health centre on campus and there are several local doctors' surgeries near the main campus where students can phone and book an appointment as a temporary patient if needed.

No, you will be considered unpaid research staff by the University of Surrey, rather than a student, although you will still have student status at your sending institution.

Your department will register you with the faculty’s Human Resources team rather than on the Surrey student records system. You will therefore not have a student number, or Students’ Union membership or automatic access to University accommodation.

University Accommodation

University accommodation can normally only be rented for the whole semester and is typically full during teaching periods. We would therefore encourage students doing a short traineeship to come, if possible, during the summer break (late June – early September) when there may be one or two student rooms available at the University and there is more choice in the private sector.

Since trainees and interns are not considered students at Surrey, you would need to pay our Short-Term Single Bedroom rates (see page 2 of our accommodation price list). You will not be able to use the University’s online accommodation application form as it requires a Surrey student number. Instead, please email the International Engagement Office or the University’s Accommodation team direct to enquire about availability.

NB. University rooms must be vacated by early September, when the residences are closed for cleaning, so if you need to stay longer, you will need to move to a local guest house or bed & breakfast for the last part of your stay. 

Erasmus+ trainees are not eligible for university Guest accommodation, as this can only be rented for a period of up to 28 days and Erasmus+ traineeships are for a minimum of two months.

Private Rentals

Most trainees, particularly those coming during semester time, will need to look for either

  • a room in the central Guildford YMCA (they offer a very reasonable deal including wifi, and breakfast and dinner in their restaurant - stays can be from 2-12 months, depending on availability)
  • lodgings in a property with a resident landlord (this can be for just a couple of months)
  • a private house share or flat rental (minimum 6 months)

For advice on renting in the private sector and a list of local letting agents and online newspapers with property sections, see our University of Surrey Lettings webpage

Your Arrival at Surrey

Your Surrey supervisor will give you a full introduction at the start of your traineeship to your academic department and the facilities you will be using. Make sure you email your supervisor in good time to agree your start date and get an induction programme for your first few days at the University.

We recommend you build in an hour in your first day or two for a more general half-hour orientation by the International Engagement Office - email us on to book a suitable time.

We also recommend you book yourself onto one of our free campus tours to familiarise yourself with our wider facilities and the layout of the campus - these tend to be on Mondays and Wednesdays from 1-2.30pm - or watch our virtual campus tour.

You must collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) within 10 days of the date you said you would arrive at the University of Surrey. You will need to collect it from the central Guildford post office. Be sure to take your passport and visa.

Just before or after arriving at Surrey, trainees need to complete a Miscellaneous account request form in order to get a Surrey IT/email account and a visiting researcher campus card. The campus card gives you access to the library and its resources, as well as to certain academic buildings. The form will need to be signed by a senior member of staff from your Surrey department, then emailed to or taken to the IT Helpdesk at the 1st floor entrance to the Library.

IT Services will create an IT account for you which will migrate through to the Library management system. Once you have received email confirmation of your membership number from IT Services, you should visit the Library to have your photo taken and a campus card issued.

Depending on your mobility dates and availability of places, you may be able to access one or two of the University of Surrey's free English Language Support Programme classes. These tend to be delivered towards the start of each semester (early October/early February) and last between 4-9 weeks. If you are arriving at the start of semester and would be interested in taking one or more of these, please contact the International Engagement Office before or just after your arrival.

NB. Due to the Covid-19 situation all English language classes are currently online.

The University’s International Engagement Office (IEO) organises a number of social and cultural activities for our group of incoming Erasmus+ Study, International Exchange and Study Abroad students during both semesters (e.g. visits to historic properties and towns, bowling, ice-skating, quiz night, etc). Erasmus+ trainees are welcome to take part in these.

The Exchange and Study Abroad students also have a Facebook page where they arrange their own social activities, visits and trips.

If you would like to take part in the IEO-organised activities or to join the current Facebook group, just drop the International Engagement team an email to register your interest.

Contact us

Find us

Map of the University of Surrey
International Engagement Office
University of Surrey