Surrey Sunflower Selfie Competition privacy notice
The University of Surrey is the “Data Controller” of your personal data. We are registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (our notification number is Z6346945) and we are committed to ensuring that the personal data we process is handled in accordance with data protection legislation.
Marketing, Recruitment and Admissions (MRA) - email@example.com is part of the University of Surrey. We have a named Data Protection Officer, Elizabeth Powis, who can be contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org.
One of our responsibilities is to tell you about the different ways we collect and use your personal data. This statement provides details about these uses. In addition to this statement, you may be given further information about the uses of your personal data when you use certain services offered by the University of Surrey.
MRA holds and processes personal data about competition participants
- Instagram username
- If you are successful, we will collate the below:
- First/last name
- Address - to send voucher by post if necessary
- In addition – for the competition - picture uploaded for participation.
The personal data we hold about you consists of the above and we only collect the data we need.
We receive this data from you when you:
- Take part in the SUNFLOWER SELFIE COMPETITION.
- Once a winner is chosen – the entrant will be notified via Instagram message channel.
If the individual is under the age of 18, they must provide consent from a parent or legal guardian. Please see the link to consent form here if they win: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/sites/default/files/2022-06/surrey-sunflower-competition-consent-form.docx. Announcement will be made once the winner is chosen.
- All picture entries must be the original work of the competitor. By submitting your photo/photos, you agree that your photograph(s) can be entered into the competition, and also may be reproduced on Instagram and TikTok channels in addition to all our social media platforms for the purposes of promoting this competition.
- Should you not give permission for us to use your photo or photos on any one of these platforms, please contact us immediately via email – email@example.com.
If the above data is not provided, it will not be possible to send the prize.
The University collects only the data we need and we keep the data up to date and only for as long as it is needed. The winner’s name, email and postal address will be deleted once the prize is emailed or posted. It is important for you to know the lawful basis for us processing your information:
- We process data because you give us your consent, specifically to participate in the SUNFLOWER SELFIE competition.
- We do not use the data we collect to make decisions about individuals or to analyse information on an individual level.
The University processes personal data in accordance with data protection legislation and its own University privacy notices | University of Surrey.
We track activity in the University’s legitimate interest via cookies/ other tools to obtain information about the way you access our services to analyse the effectiveness of [the service].
We retain your personal data until the competition is completed, at which point your data will be securely destroyed.
Internally, we share your personal data with
- Members of the University’s Gardening Society and the University’s campus team will judge all valid entries and select a winner.
- Social Media and Communications team – to process the winning entries.
As an individual whose data we process (a data subject), you have certain rights in relation to the processing. You can find detailed information about your rights as a data subject on the University’s webpage.
You have the right to:
- Withdraw your consent in circumstances where we are processing your personal data on that basis;
- Ask us to confirm that your personal data is being processed and to access (i.e. have a copy) of that data as well as to be provided with supplemental information about the processing;
- Request that we rectify any inaccuracies where the data we hold on you is inaccurate or incomplete;
- Have your data erased by us, although in certain circumstances we may not be able to do this, for example, where we must comply with a legal obligation or in managing your health and social care. The circumstances where this applies can be found in the data subject rights information on the University’s webpage;
- Restrict the processing of your personal data in certain ways;
- Obtain your personal data for reuse;
- Object to certain processing of your personal data.
To exercise any of these rights, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any concerns about the way that we have handled your personal data please contact us as we would like to have the opportunity to resolve your concerns. If you’re still unhappy, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. Please see their website at: https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/.