Timetabling privacy notice
Timetabling is part of Student Services and Admin at the University of Surrey. We are registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (our notification number is Z6346945) and we are committed to ensuring that the personal data we process is handled in accordance with data protection legislation. We have a named Data Protection Officer, Suzie Mereweather, who can be contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org.
One of our responsibilities is to tell you about the different ways we collect and use your personal data. This statement provides details about these uses. In addition to this statement, you may be given further information about the uses of your personal data when you use certain services offered by the University of Surrey.
We hold and process personal data about staff and students who make a timetabling enquiry or book a central teaching room. The personal data we hold about you can consist of:
- Email address
- Telephone extension number
- Details of the booking you wish to make, such as start and end times
- Location of room.
We only collect the data we need and keep that data up to date.
We receive this data from you when you complete the timetabling enquiry form or central teaching room booking request form.
The University collects only the data we need and we keep the data up to date and only for as long as it is needed. We collect your personal data on these forms in our legitimate interests, to manage your room booking and provide you with information about your booking enquiry.
Our legitimate interests will never override your right to privacy and the freedoms that require the protection of your personal data.
The University processes personal data and special category data in accordance with data protection legislation and its own Data Protection Policy. Your data is held within the University’s CMIS Timetabling system to manage room bookings.
We do not share your information with any third parties.
We keep your personal data in accordance with the University’s retention schedules. This means that your data is kept for three years and then destroyed.
As an individual whose data we process (a data subject), you have certain rights in relation to the processing. Find detailed information about your rights as a data subject.
You have the right to:
- Withdraw your consent for us to process your personal data where we have relied on that consent as our basis for processing your data.
- Ask us to confirm that your personal data is being processed and to access (i.e. have a copy) of that data as well as to be provided with supplemental information about the processing.
- Request that we rectify any inaccuracies where the data we hold on you is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Have your data erased by us, although in certain circumstances we may not be able to do this. The circumstances where this applies can be found in the guide to data subject rights information.
- Restrict the processing of your personal data in certain ways.
- Obtain your personal data for reuse.
- Object to certain processing of your personal data.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights please visit our make a privacy request section.
Make a complaint
If you have any concerns about the way that we have handled your personal data please email the Data Protection team as we would like to have the opportunity to resolve your concerns.
If you’re still unhappy, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (an independent body set up to advise on information rights for the UK) about the way in which we process your personal data.