Privacy notice: how we handle your data
VetEd 2021 is an event hosted by the School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Surrey which is run on behalf of the Veterinary Schools Council UK. We are registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (our notification number is Z6346945) and are committed to ensuring that the personal data we process is handled in accordance with data protection legislation. We have a named Data Protection Officer, Elizabeth Powis, who can be contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org.
What information do we collect from you?
We collect and process the following data about you when you register for this event:
- Name and address
- Name of Company
- Job Title
- Email address
- Student ID (if applicable)
- Country of residence
- Whether you have attended VetEd previously.
We hold this data about you because you provided it when making an enquiry, booking for this event or complete one of our questionnaires.
Why do we collect this information?
The University only collects the data we need and we keep the data up to date and only for as long as it is needed.
We collect your personal data in order to:
- Register you for an event
- Update you with event logistics
- Provide event material after the workshop
- Ask for feedback, which may include surveys, on the event that you attended
- Send you newsletters to keep you up to date about what is happening at the University
- To enable sponsors to send you relevant marketing materials where you have given consent.
We do not use the data we collect to make decisions about individuals or to analyse information on an individual level.
We take our obligations for data handling very seriously and it is therefore important for you to know that the lawful basis for us processing your information is with your consent.
How do we collect your information?
We collect the data about you from the forms you complete when registering for an event, purchasing tickets for events, or completing online forms. The data is then kept in a database and used to contact individuals to achieve the purposes listed above.
How long do we keep your information?
We keep your personal data in accordance with the University’s retention schedules. This means that your data is kept for a maximum of 7 years.
Who do we share your information with?
Where you have given your consent, we will share the information you have provided with the VetEd 2021 external sponsor list specific to this event to enable sponsors to contact you with relevant marketing materials. It is your choice as whether to provide this information.
Your data will not be shared with any external organisation unless in the circumstances above.
What rights do you have in relation to the way we process your data?
You can find detailed information about your rights as a data subject on the University’s webpage.
- Withdraw your consent where you have given this to us to enable us to process your data
- Ask for a copy of your data
- Ask us to change incorrect or incomplete data about you
- Ask us to delete or stop processing your data, for example where we don’t need to be using it anymore
- Object to the processing of your data
- Ask us to stop processing data for a period if data is inaccurate or there is a dispute about it.
If you are unhappy with the way that we have managed your information, please contact us at email@example.com. You have the right to lodge a complaint with the ICO at: https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/ but we would appreciate the opportunity to resolve this with you first.