Department of Politics

Our courses

A Politics degree from the University of Surrey gives you the opportunity to study how power operates in the real world and to develop the skills to make sense of that world – all while studying at a world-class, research-intensive institution.

Undergraduate Degrees

During your time in the Department of Politics, you will learn about mainstream political institutions and theories alongside more critical approaches. Therefore you will be encouraged to learn about identity, citizenship, social movements and change. On top of this, you will also be exposed to a number of international issues and theories, as we consider these to be central to the study of politics in the twenty-first century.

All of our programmes are three or four years in length dependent on whether you combine a Professional Training placement into your studies, either in the form of a European (Erasmus) or International Study Exchange or Work Placement. 

Student Profiles

Meet Surrey Politics Undergraduates and find out what it is like to study here, go on a study exchange or take part in a work placement, and the benefits of attending Surrey's summer school scheme abroad:

Alistair Donophy, BA (Hons) Politics

50/50 Professional Training Year
The year offered me invaluable experiences and skills that I can transfer into my final year.

Beatriz Marques, BA (Hons) International Politics

Professional training year in Brazil
If you want to do something, you have to ask yourself what are you doing now to get there
.

Jamie Convisser, BA (Hons) International Politics

Seoul National University summer school
Studying in Seoul for six weeks... for free.

Oliver Deed, BA (Hons) Politics

Placement Year, Houses of Parliament
My thoughts on the Professional Training placement.

Lucy Doggett, BA (Hons) International Politics

Placement Year, Cape Town Refugee Centre
A Lekker life in Cape Town: working with refugees in South Africa.

John Harpley, BA (Hons) International Politics

Split Professional Training Year 
Studying and working in Spain.

Pastoral Support

Entering your first year at university and then stepping up to a degree programme can be challenging and we try to ease this transition by allocating you a personal tutor from amongst a member academic staff in the Department. 

Your personal tutor builds a one-to-one relationship with you, offering appropriate advice and support regarding personal and work-related issues. Your personal tutor would be your first point of reference should you face any concerns. In most cases you will have the same personal tutor throughout your degree programme.

Politics Alumni

The Department’s alumni are engaged in a range of professions across the world. 65 per cent of the Department’s graduates live in the UK and the remaining 35 per cent live in 33 other countries.

Some of the professions among the Department’s alumni are:

  • International non-governmental organisations (NGOs)
  • Print and radio journalism
  • Finance; policy advisor
  • Postgraduate and doctoral study
  • Parliamentary advisor

Postgraduate Taught Programmes

The Department of Politics was created in 2004, bringing together and reinforcing the various elements of politics teaching and research which have existed at Surrey since the 1970s. Our academics are all research-active, and the teaching you will receive on our Masters degrees reflects those interests, helping to make your work all the more engaged and relevant to current issues and debates. 

The Department has a very active student body, which organises many academic and social events outside the formal programme. With students coming from all over the world, this is an excellent opportunity to meet and challenge each other’s ideas and perceptions.

Student profiles

Connie Musallam, Masters Student

The methods of study are exciting and challenging.

Ransford Stanley, Masters Student

An exciting place to learn and share.