About to the Department of Sociology
In the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise we were ranked joint 6th out of all the Sociology departments in the UK, reflecting our excellence in research and publications and the quality of our research environment
We are also ranked highly for our degree programmes, including:
- 5th in The Complete University Guide 2015
- 6th in The Guardian University Guide 2014
- In the recent 2014 Research Excellence Framework exercise the Department was 12th in research activities rated as 4* (world leading) and 8th in its outputs (publications).
- 11th in The Times Good University Guide 2014
- Top 40 in 2014 QS World University Rankings
We have a vibrant and thriving research culture with strengths in a number of fields underpinned by methodological innovation and rigour.
Our research is divided into five groupings:
- Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Developments in Methodology
- Identities, Diversities, and the Life Course
- Media, Culture and Communication
- Science, Environment and Technologies
Our Degree Programmes:
- BSc Sociology
- BSc Criminology and Sociology
- BSc Criminology
- BSc Media, Culture and Society
- BA Media Studies
Postgraduate Taught Degrees:
- MSc Social Research Methods
- MSc Criminology, Criminal Justice and Social Research
Postgraduate Research Degrees:
We have a rigorous and successful PhD programme and a thriving community of doctoral students
The Department’s alumni are engaged in a range of professions across the world. Almost 3,000 have registered with Forever Surrey, the University’s graduate network.
90% of the Department’s graduates live in the UK and the remaining 10% live in 51 other countries.
The five most common professions among the Department’s alumni are:
1) Research Officer
3) Senior Lecturer