About the Department of Sociology
In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) exercise more than three quarters of our research publications were rated as world leading or internationally excellent and all of it was recognized internationally, placing us in the top 10 UK based Sociology departments. A particular area of strength is research methodology.
We were also praised for our research environment, which was rated joint 6th in the country. This reflects our strong postgraduate community, diverse research centres, research training activities, and funding successes
- 3rd in the Guardian League Table 2016
- 4th in The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2015
- 5th in the Complete University Guide 2016
- Top 40 in 2014 QS World University Rankings
We have a vibrant and thriving research culture with strengths in a number of fields underpinned by methodological innovation and rigour.
Our research is divided into five groupings:
- Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Developments in Methodology
- Identities, Diversities, and the Life Course
- Media, Culture and Communication
- Science, Environment and Technologies
Our Degree Programmes:
- BSc Sociology
- BSc Criminology and Sociology
- BSc Criminology
- BSc Media, Culture and Society
- BA Media Studies
Postgraduate Taught Degrees:
- MSc Social Research Methods
- MSc Criminology, Criminal Justice and Social Research
Postgraduate Research Degrees:
We have a rigorous and successful PhD programme and a thriving community of doctoral students
The Department’s alumni are engaged in a range of professions across the world. Almost 3,000 have registered with Forever Surrey, the University’s graduate network.
90% of the Department’s graduates live in the UK and the remaining 10% live in 51 other countries.
The five most common professions among the Department’s alumni are:
1) Research Officer
3) Senior Lecturer