Welcome to the Department of Sociology at the University of Surrey. We are a friendly department with an international reputation as a centre of excellence in both research and teaching.
- 3rd in the Guardian League Table 2016
- 4th in The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2015
- 5th in the Complete University Guide 2016
- The Department of Sociology at the University of Surrey has an international reputation as a centre of excellence in research. In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) exercise more than three quarters of our research publications were rated as world leading or internationally excellent and all of it was recognized internationally, placing us in the top 10 UK based Sociology departments. A particular area of strength is research methodology.
We were also praised for our research environment, which was rated joint 6th in the country. This reflects our strong postgraduate community, diverse research centres, research training activities, and funding successes..
- Top 40 in 2014 QS World University Rankings
- PhD Studentship: Understanding the impact of prison based diversion schemes on prisoners and young people
- Surrey sociologist published in Discourse & Society
- A warm welcome to Dr Paula Carder, Visiting International Fellow
- Keynote papers by Paul Hodkinson
- New article by Victoria Redclift