Clearing and Adjustment 2018
Clearing is another opportunity for you to secure your place at the University of Surrey. We have places available on many of our courses which you can apply to now through Clearing via UCAS. See the full listing below.
We also offer a range of courses with a foundation year to ensure you get the best start to your studies.
Guaranteed accommodation for Clearing students* (terms and conditions apply).
Call us to secure your place.
An inspiring community
The University of Surrey is a leading UK university. Study with us and you could find yourself debating with top researchers, working with real businesses and learning with a diverse student community.
Clearing and Adjustment with us
If you don’t have any offers or didn’t get the grades you were expecting – either higher or lower – then this is a fantastic way to get into university.
“Clearing is by no means the end of the road, it’s just a stepping stone to the best years of your life!"
You can enter Clearing if you’ve already applied through UCAS and you do not hold any offers.
You'll know you're in Clearing if your UCAS Track status says 'You are in Clearing' or 'Clearing has started'.
How to apply
- View the courses available below.
- When you find a suitable course, call us on 0800 052 2248 (UK callers) or +44 (0)1483 686828 (international callers) – please make sure you have all your qualifications to hand, including your GCSE results.
- If we can accept you, we’ll let you know during the conversation. You’ll then receive formal confirmation via email.
- Once you’ve spoken to us, you need to refer yourself to the University via your UCAS Track.
- Click ‘Add Clearing choice’ and fill in the course details before the deadline you were given in your email and refer yourself. This counts as you firmly accepting the offer.
- We’ll formally confirm your place and you’ll receive official confirmation from UCAS and see it on your UCAS Track.
I’ve not applied to university yet – can I go through Clearing?
If you’ve not yet applied to university, you can complete a UCAS application until 21 September.
If you applied after 30 June, you’ll automatically be entered into Clearing, so you shouldn’t fill in any choices on your application.
To apply for a place at Surrey through Clearing call 0800 052 2248 (UK callers) or +44 (0)1483 686828 (international callers).
Consider a foundation year
We’re always looking to make it easier to access the education we offer, so this year we launched the option of taking a degree with a foundation year.
A foundation year is an extra year of study at the start of your course that leads in to a full degree programme. It’s a great option if:
- You don’t have the grades for a full degree course
- You have non-traditional qualifications or experience
- You’re starting university after some time away from education
- You’re looking for more support during the transition into university study.
If you've had a firm conditional choice accepted, but you’ve done better in your exams than expected, Adjustment offers you a chance to reconsider where and what to study, and potentially secure a place on another course you prefer.
How to apply
- Make sure you're registered for Adjustment
- View available courses below
- To apply for a place call 0800 052 2248 (UK callers) or +44 (0)1483 686828 (international callers)
- Tell us you're applying through Adjustment and give us your UCAS ID (please note that we won’t be able to see your application unless you've registered for Adjustment with UCAS)
- We’ll check you've met and exceeded your conditions of your firm choice (remember, if you contact us on results day there could be a short delay while your application is updated)
- If we can offer you a place and you decide to accept, we’ll advise you verbally and formally accept you through UCAS
- You’ll then be able to view this on your UCAS Track and will receive confirmation from UCAS.
How to register for Adjustment
Click ‘Register for Adjustment’ on the choices screen in in UCAS Track – remember, you need to have met and exceeded the conditions of your firm choice.
If originally you only applied for one course (for the reduced fee of £13) you'll have to pay an additional £11 to be able to apply to multiple courses.
Your original unconditional firm (UF) choice will be safe if you try Adjustment. If you don't find anything you'll only lose your place if you confirm you'd like to go elsewhere and the new university/college adds itself to your application.
How long is Adjustment open?
Adjustment is available between 16 and 31 August.
You only have five 24-hour periods (including weekends) within this time to take advantage of Adjustment, starting from when your conditional firm (CF) offer changes to unconditional firm (UF), or on A-level results day – whichever is the latter.
Find out more on the UCAS website.
If you hold a conditional firm or insurance place with the University of Surrey, you can find out if your place has been confirmed via:
Once we’ve received your results, we’ll also send you an email or a text message to advise you of our decision.
My UCAS Track hasn't updated
If you’ve not received any communication from us, or your place is still showing as conditional on UCAS Track or Surrey Self-Service, please:
- Contact us via our live chat facility.
We will be available on Thursday 16 August from 7am to 6pm.
Are you waiting for GCSE results or to meet other conditions?
If your offer is conditional on GCSE results, these will not be released until 23 August. You should upload these to Surrey Self-Service as soon as you receive them.
If you’re waiting on other exam results or conditions, these may also be published at a later date. It is important that you upload these to Surrey Self-Service as soon as you receive them so that we can make a decision about your place.
A-Z of available courses
Filter by course title:
If you are made an offer via Clearing or Adjustment, you are welcome to come along for a tour of the campus on:
- Friday 17 August, 1pm to 5pm
- Saturday 18 August, 10:30am to 2:30pm.
Tours will depart from the Austin Pearce Building, which will be signposted as you arrive on campus.
Find out how to get to the University of Surrey.
In order to be guaranteed accommodation, you need to:
- Refer yourself via UCAS to the University of Surrey by 18:00 (BST) on Friday 17 August.
- If we need any documentation to issue your offer, the University of Surrey will email you on Saturday 18 August and you will need to supply this by 18:00 (BST) on Sunday 19 August.
- You will then be able to apply for accommodation from 12:00 (BST) on Tuesday 21 August. The deadline to submit your accommodation application is 14:00 (BST) on Wednesday 22 August. Applications for accommodation received after this time will not be guaranteed, any remaining rooms available will be offered on a first-come first-served basis.
We endeavour to support students who do not have a place in University accommodation by providing advice and guidance about renting in the private sector.
Students and graduates
"For anyone who is thinking about studying abroad—do it. Explore new places, learn about new cultures, and let your mind grow."
Find out more
Criminology and Sociology
"I undertook a Professional Training placement as a Prison Officer in a local prison. Every situation taught me new things about different people and how different people behave."
Find out more