Information for University of Surrey staff
Research & Innovation
Common questions answered on SurreyNet
External marketing website
Advertising for staff
Design and photos
Videos and social media
Staff and students
A range of options are available for off-site access to university facilities and information.
This method is suitable for the majority of staff at the University and is ideal if you do not need continuous access to corporate applications.
Services that just need the internet
- Email using Outlook on your desktop or Surrey365 web application
- Microsoft Teams (instant messaging, voice and video calling, online meetings, screen sharing)
- SharePoint Online
How to use Microsoft Teams
If you are not yet using Microsoft Teams please use the following links to get started:
There are some university services that will require more than just an internet connection for you to access them.
Services that require GlobalProtect
- Shared drives
Setting up GlobalProtect
We need to ensure that you have Microsoft Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) set up (this is different to the Google Authenticator). To do this:
- Set up your account to receive Microsoft MFA requests to your phone. You can use this quick start guide (PDF) to help you or watch the video
- Install GlobalProtect Virtual Private Network (VPN):
If you are academic staff you will also need to ensure that your devices are setup for remote teaching – information can be found on SurreyLearn.
The University’s Virtual Desktop service gives access to a university desktop, its software and files all from your own device whether on or off campus.
It’s a great option for those wishing to use their own devices and presents many of the same features you’d expect when using a university device. Some functions may not be available, so you should make sure that this works for how you would normally work before deciding to rely on it.
A sample list of services accessible using the Virtual Desktop:
- Access to a generic University desktop
- All files including OneDrive and Shared (S:) Drives
- Commonly used software and applications.
To get set up, please follow the instructions (PDF).
Preparing to work off-campus
If you need to work off campus it is a good idea to:
- Connect to the University network regularly. It is important to bring in your laptop and connect it to the University network on a regular basis. This will ensure that you have the latest updates installed and the most recent files synced to your device if you do plan to work off campus.
- Test your device and access. If you have not used the Internet or VPN service to access files and applications remotely install and/or test the service prior to working off campus.
- Remember that a number of services including email, Microsoft Teams and access to web services are available without the need to connect to VPN services. Please only login to these services if you require additional access to services or applications.