Study and work abroad

As a University of Surrey student you have the opportunity to study and work abroad as part of your degree. 

What our students say

Students share their experiences of going on an international exchange to Hong Kong.


Taking part in an exchange gives you the opportunity to travel and live in another country, whilst earning credits that will contribute to your Surrey degree. Check out the student experiences from previous study or work abroad students.

In addition to the hugely enjoyable and satisfying experience, time spent abroad adds a distinctive element to your CV, providing you with a new network of friends, intercultural competences, possibly a new language and so much more. Research shows that students who have gone abroad as part of their degree are more likely to be in a graduate job, more likely to gain a first-class degree and less likely to be unemployed on graduation. Read a report from the European Commission to find out more.

Choose a destination

Before deciding where you want to apply, you’ll need to consider a range of factors including study options, finances, the type of environment you will be living in and the extracurricular activities on offer. Even if you’re a seasoned traveller and have visited the country before, it’s worth doing some thorough research before making your final decision. The first step is to use the search tool and check the options for your programme.

Some of the exchange agreements are subject specific, please use the online search tool to find out where you can study abroad, before completing the online application.

For further information about study abroad, please turn to page 15 of our support and opportunities at Surrey guide (PDF). 

When study exchanges take place

Study exchange can take place either in the second year for one semester or the full year or as an alternative to a work placement in the Professional Training placement year, depending on your degree course.

Contact us

Find us

Map of the University of Surrey
International Engagement Office
University of Surrey