Pre-sessional English language courses
If you are an international student planning to study on a degree course with us but don't meet our initial English language requirements, you may benefit from our pre-sessional English language courses.
You will automatically be moved onto your degree course on successful completion of your pre-sessional English language course, if this is condition of your offer, without the need to take any additional external language tests, including IELTS.
Any questions for us?
Update: in light of the coronavirus situation, our pre-sessional English courses will all be delivered online. We would like to highlight the following:
- The course dates for the Pre-Sessional 11, Pre-Sessional 8 and Pre-Sessional 5 courses have changed to be one week earlier. These courses will now start on 22 June, 6 July and 27 July respectively.
- Applications will be accepted up to two weeks before the start date of the course.
- The English language requirements for the courses remain the same, but we are now able to accept non-UKVI IELTS as well as other non-IELTS qualifications, such as TOEFL. View the qualifications we accept.
- Students will have online access to the University Library and Learning Resource Centre during the course.
- Successful completion of the pre-sessional English programme will be considered as meeting the University’s English language entry requirements for September / October 2020 or September / October 2021 entry.
- We will organise webinars for offer-holders in which we talk through the details of the programmes. These will be held at least five weeks before the start of the courses.
- If you have an offer for a pre-sessional course and have a question, please email email@example.com.
Find a course
We offer four different pre-sessional English language courses, each designed for your level of ability.
Once you have submitted your application you will receive a confirmation email from us. Within 48 hours of receiving this confirmation email, you will receive a second email, which will include your university number and details of how to login to Surrey Self-Service. If you already have access, you can login to see your English language application as soon as you receive the initial confirmation email.
You need to regularly access the portal in order to track the status of your application.
If we require further information in order to assess your application you will be sent an email advising you to login to Surrey Self-Service. You will then be able to see which documents we require and will be asked to upload this information.
Once we have made a decision on your application, you will be sent an email advising you to login, where you will be able to see the outcome.
If your application is successful, your offer letter will be available on Surrey Self-Service. This letter can be used for official purposes (if required).
Accepting your offer
We advise accepting your offer as early as possible through Surrey Self-Service.
Acceptance can be made:
- With or without payment of your 10% deposit.
- With or without satisfactory evidence of sponsorship.
If you accept without payment or evidence, your status will show as ‘provisionally accepted.’
Declining your offer
If you decide that you do not wish to accept your offer of a place, please decline through Surrey Self-Service.