Pre-sessional English language courses
If you are an international student planning to study on a degree course with us but don't meet our initial English language requirements, you may benefit from our pre-sessional English language courses.
You will automatically be moved onto your degree course on successful completion of your pre-sessional English language course, if this is condition of your offer. You will not need to take any additional external language tests, including IELTS.
Once you have submitted your application you will receive a confirmation email from us. Within 48 hours of receiving this confirmation email, you will receive a second email, which will include your university number and details of how to login to Surrey Self-Service. If you already have access, you can login to see your English language application as soon as you receive the initial confirmation email.
You need to regularly access the portal in order to track the status of your application.
When you are ready to apply for the Pre-sessional course, please have the following documents ready for upload:
- A degree offer from the University of Surrey
- Evidence of your English language level:
- If the PSE course is taught on campus, and you require a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) for a Student visa, you will need to supply an UKVI IELTS (Academic) or UKVI PEARSON (Academic) report.
- If the PSE course is taught online, we can accept a variety of English language tests taken within the last two years. Please see the full list: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/apply/international/english-language-requirements
- A valid colour copy of your passport
- Sponsorship letter (if it applies).
If we require further information in order to assess your application you will be sent an email advising you to login to Surrey Self-Service. You will then be able to see which documents we require and will be asked to upload this information. If you present a variety of pieces of evidence of competence in English, you will only be judged on the most recent piece of evidence.
Once we have made a decision on your application, you will be sent an email advising you to login, where you will be able to see the outcome.
If your application is successful, your offer letter will be available on Surrey Self-Service. This letter can be used for official purposes (if required).
Accepting your offer
We advise accepting your offer as early as possible through Surrey Self-Service.
After accepting your offer, to secure a place on the course, the following must be provided:
- 10% deposit
- Satisfactory evidence of sponsorship (if applicable).
If you accept without payment or evidence, your status will show as ‘provisionally accepted.’
Declining your offer
If you decide that you do not wish to accept your offer of a place, please decline through Surrey Self-Service.