If you are yet to secure an offer, or your grades are higher or lower than expected, Clearing is another way to apply for your favourite course.
Ricky from our Admissions team explains how Clearing works and what you'll need to do when applying for a course at the University of Surrey through Clearing this year.
When is Clearing 2021?
Clearing officially begins on Monday 5 July 2021.
What is Clearing?
Clearing is a service that matches applicants to vacant university places. It runs from July to September and helps you to secure your university place for the current year.
Clearing is open to you if you:
- First apply after 30 June
- If you have applied to a course through UCAS but haven't received an offer
- If your place is not confirmed after your exam results are published.
When applying, you will be able to choose one course at one institution and you should have all of your results at hand, as we cannot make conditional offers during Clearing.
We can talk you through your options, even if your grades are different from the standard course requirements.
Consider a foundation year
We have a range of degree programmes with a foundation year, to make it easier to access the education we offer. A foundation year is an extra year of study at the start of your course that leads into a full degree.
It’s a great option if:
- You don’t have the grades for direct entry onto one of our BSc (Hons) degree courses
- You have non-traditional qualifications or experience
- You’re starting university after some time away from education
- You’re looking for more support during the transition into university study.
Find out more about foundation year courses.
Which courses are available?
Our list of Clearing courses will be published on Monday 5 July 2021. It will be continually updated as courses become full.
Please note we aim to provide the latest information to you but can’t guarantee that a course will still be available by the time you apply.
How do I apply?
From Monday 5 July 2021
This is the day that UCAS Clearing opens, so please check to see if your course is available. If you already have your results, you can contact our Admissions team to check whether your results meet our requirements and for our advice on what to do next.
From Tuesday 10 August 2021
1. Check back here to see if your chosen course is available.
2. If you have your results, call us on +44 (0)1483 682222 and we'll discuss whether your results meet our requirements and if we can make you an offer. We will be open at the following times:
- Tuesday 10 August: 6am – 6pm
- Wednesday 11 August: 7am – 4pm
- Thursday 12 August: 9am – 5pm
- Friday 13 August: 9am – 5pm
- Saturday 14 August: 10am – 4pm
- Sunday 15 August 10am – 4pm
What happens after I get an offer?
Everything you need to do will be explained either on the phone or in your offer email.
- Once you have spoken with one of our Clearing staff members you will receive your offer email. This can take a little while to come through, so if you don’t receive this within an hour please contact us.
- Follow the instructions in your offer letter, you will receive guidance on how to refer yourself via UCAS to the University of Surrey (S85) and the deadlines you will be required to meet. Please note you will only be able to refer your application from 3pm on Tuesday 10 August.
- Once you have referred your application you may wish to consider making arrangements for your accommodation.
- You will receive an acknowledgement email the evening of the day you have referred your application to us. You will now be able to set up your account on Surrey Self-Service.
- The Admissions team will review your application and check your qualifications against notes taken during your conversation with the team and a final check on your application will be done before a formal offer is made. Please check Surrey Self-Service for any documentation requests which may be required before a formal offer is made. Some programmes require successful completion of an interview in order to secure a place, this will be explained to you during your call.
- Once your formal offer has been made, further information and joining instructions will then be sent to you in due course.
There's a lot to think about, but try not to panic. Read the following if you have any specific questions about your offer and UCAS.
Please check Surrey Self-Service to ensure you have no outstanding documents required. If you have no outstanding requests for information you may wish to get in touch via our live chat option available on our Clearing page. Please do not call our Clearing call centre as these lines are reserved for Clearing offers only.
Applicants are able to ‘self-release’ via UCAS. Please use this option to allow you to refer your application to us.
If you have not yet had a decision on your application you may wish to contact them directly or wait for this decision. You can also request to be rejected to take up an offer elsewhere but please ensure you adhere to any deadlines in place before you give up offers elsewhere.
Applicants are only able to receive an offer for the programme they have received an offer for. It is possible to change from a three-year to a four-year option (with placement) where this is available to you. If you wish to change your programme preference please call our Clearing call centre to receive a new offer.
Please contact our Admissions team ensuring you include your UCAS ID in the subject line and ‘referral error’ so that we can spot your emails more easily. Providing your application has been referred by the stipulated deadline we will be able to make this change for you.
Please refer your application to us as soon as possible. There is no guarantee we will be able to offer you a place onto the programme if you refer yourself after the deadline as we will need to check capacities for the course. We will not withdraw the offer of a Clearing place without contracting applicants first.
Once we have received your application from UCAS we will do an initial check to ensure your grades meet our clearing requirements and that we have everything we need. We may request additional information from you via Surrey Self-Service, so please ensure you provide this as quickly as possible so we can send your formal offer to UCAS. Usually you can expect to see your offer updated within 24 hours following referral. Some programmes require successful completion of an interview in order to secure a place, this will be explained to you during your call.
Please don’t panic, it may be that that course is no longer available in Clearing but provided you refer yourself to us by the deadline stated in your application we will honour your offer.
If you have already applied for student finance but are going to change your course or university in Clearing, you will need to update your application in your online account. It’s best to tell Student Finance England as early as possible, to make sure your first payment is available in time for the start of the academic term.
You’ll find more advice on the government website and can talk to Student Finance England experts on Twitter and Facebook from Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm.
We are only able to make offers based on obtained grades, if your grades don’t currently meet our requirements please get in touch once you have completed the appeals process and we can discuss the options available to you.
Once your offer has been updated on UCAS you will be able to apply for accommodation.
Can I visit the University?
We will be running tours for those made an offer during Clearing on Tuesday 10 and Sunday 15 August.