Surrey Space Centre
Pioneered small low cost satellites resulting in the creation of a £100 million p.a. business – Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd. (now part of EADS-Astrium) which to date has launched 39 space missions and is currently producing the 22 satellites for Galileo – Europe’s version of GPS. Our current missions & partners include:
STRaND: SSC & SSTL have been working towards an advanced 'CubeSat' mission to fly an Android smart-phone and new attitude & orbit control systems (AOCS) in space. Delivery due in November 2012.
CubeSail: SSC & EADS Astrium has developed “solar sail” and electric propulsion technology for use in de-orbiting space junk. A demonstration mission is due to be launched in 2013.
ARReST: SSC & CalTech/JPL on the next generation space telescope to autonomously guide reconfigurable mirror elements to form a large aperture. A demonstration flight mission is planned for 2015.
- Sir Martin Sweeting listed amongst the 500 most influential British citizens
- Fellowship award honours satellite pioneer
- David Willetts joins SSTL’s Board as a non-Executive Director
- Surrey reaches the stratosphere on NASA Rad-X balloon to measure radiation
- Surrey Satellite Technology demonstrates 1-metre high resolution satellite imagery