Welcome to the School of Arts
At Surrey, the arts are as dynamic and interconnected as the cultural industries themselves.
We offer a great environment for specialist and interdisciplinary study, with an emphasis on modern and contemporary contexts for the arts. We integrate excellent academic scholarship, cutting-edge arts practices and strong connections with arts organisations in the UK and around the world.
Around 900 students take our programmes, which include undergraduate degrees, Masters programmes, PhDs and short courses. At all levels, we share the University's commitment to providing life-transforming, career-enhancing experience and skills.
The School of Arts is home to:
Specialising in conservatoire training for musical theatre, acting and theatre production
World-class research in psychoacoustic engineering and creators of the world-famous Tonmeister™ BMus undergraduate degree course in Music & Sound Recording
A unique centre for art and design research into transformational digital media
Our campus is unusually well-equipped with facilities for the arts:
- The Ivy Arts Centre (including 200-seat theatre, studios, workshops and technical facilities)
- The Performing Arts Technology Studios (concert performance venue, dance studio, recording studios and practice rooms)
- The GSA Building (custom-built rehearsal studios and rooms)
- The Nodus Centre (digital-media hub)
- The Television Studio (broadcast-specification news studio that also supports location shooting)
- The Lewis Elton Gallery (our own art gallery, hosting a year-round programme of exhibitions and installations by noted artists)
The School of Arts is part of the Faculty for Arts and Human Sciences, a vibrant multi-disciplinary environment with extensive opportunities for connections across subject areas, Schools and research centres, and with national and international partners.
- Professor Clive Williamson - International performances
- News from Prof Steve Goss
- Laura Cull Book Launch
- Matt Veitch visiting Designer at Lancing
- Emmy-winning 'Sherlock' composer joins Surrey's Tonmeister teaching team
- GSA achieves success in the National Student Survey 2014
- Surrey Sound Sphere takes IoSR to Beijing
- Huge IoSR Recording Session to Create Experiment Stimuli
- Dr Christopher Wiley presents at Conference
- Dr Jeremy Barham convenes successful Conference: Hollywood's Musical Contemporaries and Competitors in the Early Sound Film Era