Welcome to the School of Arts.
The Arts at Surrey, in keeping with today’s cultural industries, are dynamic and interconnected.
We offer programmes, from short courses to doctoral study, in Dance, Film, Music, Sound Recording and Theatre. The School includes the Guildford School of Acting (GSA), a leading conservatoire specialising in Musical Theatre, Acting and Theatre Production.
The Lewis Elton Gallery, hosts a year round programme of exhibitions and is home to the university’s significant art collection.
Our excellent relationships with a wide range of industry partners helps explain why Surrey is a leading University for employability. We are closely connected with many local and regional arts groups and organisations, and have international links that provide an array of opportunities.
Through our research activities we develop new knowledge and creative outputs across our subject areas. Our research centres include the acclaimed Digital World Research Centre. Our staff variously write books, chapters and journal articles, undertake practice-based research, and are expert in composition and creative practice. Staff serve on national and international research organisations. We undertake funded research with partners across the University and elsewhere.
Our learning environment is suited to our special mix of scholarship, academic research and high-level arts practice. Our Library houses extensive learning resources. Our facilities include performance venues, workshops, rehearsal and practice rooms, laboratories and post-production suites. We have industry-spec equipment appropriate to leading-edge production and performance, and study areas that facilitate group work and creative collaboration.
Life at Surrey is rich in possibilities. Our campus is a great place to pursue specialist study, where you can get away from it all in a relaxing environment, or be in the middle of a buzz of researchers and practitioners from different disciplines.
Latest Faculty News
- Surrey among the world’s best for communication and media
- Queen’s Award for Surrey Alumnus
- GSA Dancers set to appear in BBC Two’s “Pride And Prejudice: Having A Ball”
- Guildford School of Acting Alumni Shine
- A “gift” of a conference! Praise floods in for the “What is Performance Philosophy?” conference
- Musical app-reciation for concert accompanied by iPads
- Prize-winning producer and Tonmeister graduate Charlie Andrew
- Prof Steve Goss in collaboration with Andrew Lloyd Webber
- Dance HE student conference 2013
- Science Through Art network project wins AHRC funding