Your country – Hong Kong

We value our links with Hong Kong, and there are currently over 350 students from Hong Kong studying at Surrey. We visit the city regularly and have close links with several leading Hong Kong universities – we also have several representatives in the city who can advise students interested in applying to Surrey.

Student ambassador for Hong Kong

Diana Cheung

BSc Psychology

Katie Ng

BSc Liberal Arts and Sciences


BSc Sociology, Culture and Media 


If you have any questions about studying at Surrey, please feel free to email

To read more about my experiences at Surrey, please visit my blog

Entry requirements


Applicants taking non-UK qualifications must obtain a suitable equivalent for entry to undergraduate study. The table below shows grade equivalencies for the selected country.

UK requirement (A-level)

Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) equivalent


5*55 to include two electives


555 to include two electives


554 to include two electives


544 to include two electives


444 to include two electives

We do not include Liberal Studies or Chinese in our offers.

If you do not meet the entry requirements, we also offer a pathway to undergraduate study with the International Foundation Year at the university's International Study Centre.

Subject requirements

For courses that have specific subject requirements at A-level:

UK subject requirement (A-level)

Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) equivalent

Grade A

5 (elective)

Grade B

4 (elective)

All applicants for undergraduate courses must also meet a minimum standard in English and Mathematics.

English: Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE), English 4.

Mathematics:  Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE), Mathematics 3.

Some courses may require higher grades in English and Mathematics and/or additional subjects, so please check the requirements provided on individual course pages.


Holders of good Bachelors degrees from Hong Kong will be considered for postgraduate Masters programmes at 2.2 (lower second) or 2:1 (upper second) level, depending on the programme they are applying for.

Holders of Masters degrees will be considered for MPhil/PhD study.

English language requirements

To benefit fully from a degree programme at the University of Surrey, all students will need a good standard of English.

The School of English and Languages offers English language preparation courses all year-round, including the summer (pre-sessional) courses for students who do not have the level of English required to join a degree programme directly, or for students who meet their degree programme requirements but want to improve their English and study skills before the start of the programme. The type of course offered to you will depend on the level of your English - a fee is charged for these courses.

The School also offers a free English Language Support Programme (ELSP) to students throughout their time at Surrey, and is open to anyone enrolled on either an undergraduate or postgraduate course.

You can find more information here about English language support both prior to and after arrival at Surrey.

Visas and Immigration

If you are interested in coming to study at the University of Surrey, you can find all information you need about applying for a visa (including Tier 4 applications) here – whether you are applying from your own country, or are already in the UK studying at a different institution.

We strongly advise that you never allow anyone else, including an agent, to submit a visa application for you without first checking that all your necessary documents are correctly included.

International Pre-Departure Guide

If you receive an offer to study on one of Surrey’s undergraduate or postgraduate courses, you can find all the information you need in our newly updated International Pre-departure Guide.

Designed and produced by our International Student Support department, the Guide is dedicated to helping you prepare for, travel to and settle in at Surrey, and includes details of how to access support and advice from our friendly, professional team throughout your time with us.

Guide for parents

Going to university is an important journey for your son or daughter and will include making some big decisions. How should they choose and apply for a course? What is a UCAS application? And what are the financial implications of higher education study?

Our guide for parents explores these questions and offers lots of information to help you and your son or daughter make the best decision for their future.

Download The next step: A guide for parents 2016.

Contact us

Country representative

Mr Dan Rolfe

International Office

Your country representatives

Amber Education Mongkok

Room 1601, Office Tower One, Grand Plaza, 625 & 639 Nathan Road



Hong Kong

Amber Education Services Ltd - Tsimshatsui

Unit 819, Star House
3 Salisbury Road, Tsimshatsui


Hong Kong

Amber Education Services Ltd - Wanchai

Room 1001, Tai Yau Building
181 Johnston Road


Hong Kong

Education UK Ltd - Hong Kong

Wan Chai Branch
Unit B & C, 18/F Lockhart Centre
301-307 Lockhard Road

Wan Chai

Hong Kong

HK Education Web - Hong Kong

Room 901 Shanghai Industrial Investment Building
48-62 Hennessy Road
Wan Chai
Hong Kong

Wan Chai

Hong Kong

IDP Education - Hong Kong

Room 2807, 28th Floor, Harbour Centre
25 Harbour Road

Wan Chai

Hong Kong