International applicants

Find out about applying for a visa or ATAS certificate and learn more about Surrey's English language requirements for international students.

Entry requirements

If you are studying for qualifications in your own country, you will need a suitable equivalent grade to apply for our undergraduate courses.

View entry requirements for students from:

Search for entry requirements for your country if your country isn't in this list.

English language requirements

All our students need a good standard of English language to be eligible to study with us. See our accepted list of English language qualifications, visit our undergraduatepostgraduate taught and postgraduate research listings pages, and find your chosen course to view our specific requirements.

If you don’t meet our requirements, we offer intensive pre-sessional English language courses, designed to take you to the level of English ability and skill required for your studies. 

International pathway programmes

If you do not meet the requirements for an undergraduate or postgraduate course, you may be eligible to apply for an university pathway programme at the University of Surrey International Study Centre. Upon successful completion, you can progress to degree-level study at the University of Surrey.

International applicants can study one of the following International Foundation Year programmes to prepare for the first year of an undergraduate degree:

International applicants can study one of the following Pre-Masters programmes to prepare for a postgraduate degree:

Find out how to apply for one of these programmes or apply directly via the online application form on the University of Surrey International Study Centre website.


To study at the University of Surrey, international students require a Student visa.

To apply for a Student visa you must: 

  • Have been offered a place on a course
  • Be from a country that is not in the European Economic Areas (EEA) or Switzerland
  • Have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course
  • Be able to speak, read, write and understand English.

Learn more about applying for a visa.

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) 

Once you have been offered an unconditional place on one of our programmes, we will issue you with a reference number called a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). You will need to enter this number on to your visa application.

Learn more about obtaining a CAS.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

You may need to apply for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate in order to study certain subjects in the UK.

Students applying for postgraduate study in certain sensitive subjects, knowledge of which could be used in programmes to develop weapons of mass destruction (WMDs) or their means of delivery, will need to apply for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate before they can study in the UK. 

Most non-UK and non-EU applicants studying subjects in certain areas require an ATAS certificate, irrespective of country of residence at the point of application. However, if you have indefinite leave to remain, you will not require ATAS to study in the UK.

Learn more about applying for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate.