Entry requirements

See our country-specific equivalencies.


If you are studying for a qualification in Hong Kong, you will need a suitable equivalent grade to apply for our undergraduate courses. The table below shows grade equivalencies for Hong Kong.

UK requirement (A-level)Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) equivalentAssociate Degree, Higher Certificate or Higher Diploma  - 1st year entryAssociate Degree, Higher Certificate or Higher Diploma  - 2nd year entry
AAA554 to include two electives3.1 overall3.3 overall
AAB544 to include two electives3.0 overall3.2 overall
ABB444 to include two electives2.9 overall3.1 overall
BBB443 to include two electives2.8 overall3.0 overall
BBC433 to include two electives2.7 overall3.0 overall
BCC333 to include two electives2.6 overall3.0 overall
CCC332 to include two electives2.5 overall3.0 overall

Associate degrees

If you have an associate degree, you can apply for first or second year entry.

For 1st year entrants:

  • You must meet the subject requirements, either through the secondary or post-secondary studies

For 2nd year entrants:

  • You must have covered the modules and content included in the first year of the Surrey degree course (as assessed by the appropriate admissions tutor). Your secondary qualifications (e.g. HKDSE) will also be taken into account during your application.

We do not include Liberal Studies in our offers.

If you do not meet the entry requirements, you can apply to study for an International Foundation Year at our International Study Centre, which will prepare you for a full undergraduate degree course.

Subject requirements

For courses that have specific subject requirements at A-level:

UK subject requirement (A-level)Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) equivalent
Grade A5 (elective)
Grade B4 (elective)

When A-level Maths is a required subject, the extended part of HKDSE Maths is required.

Minimum standard in English and mathematics

If you are applying for an undergraduate course at Surrey, you must meet our minimum standards for English and mathematics.

English: Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE), English 4.

Mathematics: Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE), Mathematics 3.

Some courses may require higher grades in English and mathematics and/or additional subjects, so please check the requirements provided on individual course pages.

Undergraduate pathway programmes

If you do not meet the direct entry requirements for a course, you can apply to study an International Foundation Year programme at the University of Surrey International Study Centre. Upon successful completion, you can progress to an undergraduate degree at the University of Surrey.


To apply for one of our postgraduate courses that require a UK 2:1, you must achieve a 2:1 honours degree.

For courses that require a UK 2:2, you must achieve a 2:2.

For courses that require a UK first-class degree to be eligible for a scholarship, you must achieve a first-class honours degree.

Postgraduate pathway programmes

If you do not meet the requirements for a postgraduate course, you can apply for a Pre-Masters Preparation Programme. These pathway programmes are offered by the University of Surrey International Study Centre and are designed in order to develop a student’s academic and English language skills in preparation for postgraduate study.

Upon successful completion, you can progress to a masters degree at the University of Surrey.

English language requirements and courses

All our students require a good standard of English language to be eligible to study with us. If you don’t meet our requirements, we offer intensive pre-sessional English language courses, designed to take you to the level of English ability and skill required for your studies.