Visas and immigration

If you’re an international student you may need to apply for a visa or approval by the Academic Technology Approval Scheme before commencing your studies at Surrey.

    Any questions for us?


    To study at the University of Surrey, most international students require a Tier 4 (General) student visa.

    Tier 4 is the student tier of the Points Based System for immigration (PBS), operated by the Home Office.

    To apply for a Tier 4 visa you must: 

    • Have been offered a place on a course
    • Be from a country that is not in the European Economic Areas (EEA) or Switzerland
    • Have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course
    • Be able to speak, read, write and understand English

    Some students who do not meet all of the criteria to be able to apply for a Tier 4 visa can apply under the Short-Term Study Visa route.

    Please note that the Short-Term Study Route is only for students coming to study a course or returning to studies for 6months or less. Any student on a full-time course of more than 6 months must apply for Tier 4.

    Learn more about applying for a visa.

    Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) 

    Once you have been offered an unconditional place on one of our programmes, we will issue you with a reference number called a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). You will need to enter this number on to your visa application. 

    Learn more about obtaining a CAS.

    Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

    You may need to apply for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate in order to study certain subjects in the UK.

    Students applying for postgraduate study in certain sensitive subjects, knowledge of which could be used in programmes to develop weapons of mass destruction (WMDs) or their means of delivery, will need to apply for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate before they can study in the UK. 

    If you are a UK, EEA or Swiss national you do not need to apply for an ATAS certificate. 

    Learn more about applying for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate.

    Conditions of Service

    If you have accepted your place at the University of Surrey and have a complex visa issue that requires specific immigration or visa related advice, please read our Conditions of Service (PDF) and our Client Care Letter (PDF). If you agree with the statement in the letter please send a signed copy to