HTA partner profile: SETsquared Surrey
SETsquared Surrey is a key partner of the HTA, bringing a wealth of enterprise and innovation expertise and experience to our work. In this article we explore SETsquared’s services and how its approach supports the wider work taking place at the HTA.
A collaborative approach
The SETsquared partnership is a collaboration between six research focused Universities (Bath, Bristol, Cardiff, Exeter, Southampton and Surrey) that offer global no.1 ranked business support programmes to help turn ideas into thriving businesses. Business acceleration is just one of the programmes set-up across the partnership with business incubation centres located at each University.
The SETsquared Surrey innovation centre is situated in the Surrey Research Park, a major centre of excellence in technology, science, health and engineering for all sizes of business from start-ups to multinationals.
The centre is looking forward to supporting the Surrey Heartlands Health Tech Accelerator (HTA) start-ups to grow their businesses through the unique entrepreneurial ecosystem and flexible co-working incubation space.
Numerous productive focus groups and meetings have already been held with SMEs interested in collaborating with the HTA, discussing use of the facilities and equipment and provision of technical and business support expertise.
A growing membership
SETsquared Surrey is delighted to welcome its newest member, Yorbl, into the incubator. Yorbl will benefit from three months free membership of SETsquared Surrey while they are collaborating with the HTA. Membership of SETsquared Surrey includes:
- business support from dedicated, experienced in-house Entrepreneurs-in-Residence
- co-working office space with peer-to-peer support from likeminded entrepreneurs
- one-to-one mentoring from seasoned and vetted professionals
- access to all SETsquared events
- PR support to push out good news about the business
- access to a large affiliate network or professional service firms offering free advice and support
- access to finance through the angel investment network, the S100 Club.
Caroline Fleming, Director of Innovation Strategy and Centre Director for SETsquared Surrey said: “The HTA is a fantastic initiative for the incubator to support as the additional clinical pathway support and facilities access complements the business growth we offer and gives young companies everything they need to accelerate their growth”.
In addition to SETsquared Surrey support, SMEs can also access the SETsquared Scale-Up Programme which provides support to accelerate the growth of the business, including:
- space on the Health Innovation Programme
- access to Health & Wellbeing Sector Lead
- access to HEI partner academics and bid support funds to help secure collaborative R&D bids
- innovation workout to help explore new ideas, models and market opportunities to pivot the business
Steve Mayers, Head of Scale Programme, said: “It’s tremendously exciting to be able to offer the benefits of the Scale Up Programme to support innovation rich health sector SME’s through the HTA. Together, we provide a compelling offering to allows these SME’s to grow and prosper and so bringing enormous benefit to the region.”
And Jenny Ritchie, Senior Business Manager, at the University of Surrey, added: “It’s exciting to be involved in the diverse conversations with enthusiastic SMEs who are keen to collaborate with the Surrey Heartlands Health Tech Accelerator. I’m looking forward to cultivating new relationships and assisting collaborations to progress, helping SMEs to accelerate the development of their healthcare innovations.”