Professor Shirley Price
Shirley Price, BSc, MSc, PhD, Eurotox Registered Toxicologist, FHE, FRSB, FRSC and FBTS, is currently the Academic Director, Student Progression and Learning Gain within the Division of the Vice-Provost, Education and Students having spent five years as Associate Dean (Learning and Teaching) in the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences. In her own science discipline she has over 25 years' experience of toxicology specialising in mechanisms of toxicology, risk assessment of chemicals, combined effects of chemical mixtures at low exposure level and the effects of non-genotoxic carcinogens. Professor Price has been invited to sit on a number of government committees including the Commission on Human Medicines, Expert Advisory Group on Paediatric Medicines and Veterinary Residues Committee and CONCAWE. Professor Price has been on the editorial board of the Journal of Applied Toxicology.
- Liver-Thyroid Axis
- Low Level exposure to Chemical Mixtures
- Nanotoxicology with a special interest in reproductive toxicology
- Dermal Toxicology
- Public Health England
- Pharmaceutical Industries
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Matar H, Guerreiro A, Piletsky SA, Price SC, Chilcott RP. (2016) 'Preliminary evaluation of military, commercial and novel skin decontamination products against a chemical warfare agent simulant (methyl salicylate)'. CUTANEOUS AND OCULAR TOXICOLOGY, 35 (2), pp. 137-144.
- De Briyne N, Atkinson J, Pokludov L, Borriello SP, Price S. (2013) 'Factors influencing antibiotic prescribing habits and use of sensitivity testing amongst veterinarians in Europe'. VETERINARY RECORD, 173 (19), pp. 475-+.
- Clare G, Price S. (2012) 'Matrix ranking for prioritising testing of veterinary medicine residues'. MUTAGENESIS, 27 (6), pp. 804-805.
- Price S, Tait A. (2012) 'Disposal of medicinal products.'. Vet Rec, England: 170 (1)
- Price SC, Amlot R, Larner J, Jones D, Matar H, Carter H, Turner EA. (2010) 'Comparative analysis of showering protocols for mass-casualty decontamination'. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine, 25 (5), pp. 435-439.
- Goldfarb P, Price S. (2008) 'British Toxicology Society Annual Congress, Spring 2008: Advances in Molecular Toxicology'. TOXICOLOGY, 254 (3), pp. 119-119.
- El-Hassan H, Anwar K, Macanas-Pirard P, Crabtree M, Chow SC, Johnson VL, Lee PC, Hinton RH, Price SC, Kass GEN. (2003) 'Involvement of mitochondria in acetaminophen-induced apoptosis and hepatic injury - Roles of cytochrome c, Bax, Bid, and caspases'. TOXICOLOGY AND APPLIED PHARMACOLOGY, 191 (2), pp. 118-129.
- El-Hassan H, Macanas-Pirard P, Anwar K, Rhodes PC, Price SC, Hinton RH, Kass GEN. (2001) 'Liver apoptosis by paracetamol (acetaminophen) is mediated by mitochondria'. TOXICOLOGY, 168 (1), pp. 112-114.
- Howarth JA, Price SC, Dobrota M, Kentish PA, Hinton RH. (2001) 'Effects on male rats of di-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate and di-n-hexylphthalate administered alone or in combination'. TOXICOLOGY LETTERS, 121 (1), pp. 35-43.
- McFarlane M, Price SC, Cottrell S, Grasso P, Bremmer JN, Bomhard EM, Hinton RH. (1997) 'Hepatic and associated response of rats to pregnancy, lactation and simultaneous treatment with butylated hydroxytoluene'.FOOD AND CHEMICAL TOXICOLOGY, 35 (8), pp. 753-&.
- Ballantyne B, Norris JC, Dodd DE, Klonne DR, Losco PE, Neptun DA, Price SC, Grasso P. (1997) 'Short-term and subchronic repeated exposure studies with 5-ethylidene-2-norbornene vapor in the rat'. JOURNAL OF APPLIED TOXICOLOGY, 17 (4), pp. 197-210.
- Richert L, Price S, Chesne C, Maita K, Carmichael N. (1996) 'Comparison of the induction of hepatic peroxisome proliferation by the herbicide oxadiazon in vivo in rats, mice, and dogs and in vitro in rat and human hepatocytes'.TOXICOLOGY AND APPLIED PHARMACOLOGY, 141 (1), pp. 35-43.
- BENFORD DJ, PRICE SC, LAWRENCE JN, GRASSO P, BREMMER JN. (1994) 'INVESTIGATIONS OF THE GENOTOXICITY AND CELL PROLIFERATIVE ACTIVITY OF DICHLORVOS IN MOUSE FORESTOMACH'.TOXICOLOGY, 92 (1-3), pp. 203-215.
- BRESSA G, HINTON RH, PRICE SC, ISBIR M, AHMED RS, GRASSO P. (1991) 'IMMUNOTOXICITY OF TRI-NORMAL-BUTYLTIN OXIDE (TBTO) AND TRI-NORMAL-BUTYLTIN CHLORIDE (TBTC) IN THE RAT'. JOURNAL OF APPLIED TOXICOLOGY, 11 (6), pp. 397-402.
- AHMED RS, PRICE SC, GRASSO P, HINTON RH. (1990) 'HEPATIC NUCLEAR AND CYTOPLASMIC EFFECTS FOLLOWING INTERMITTENT FEEDING OF RATS WITH DI(2-ETHYLHEXYL) PHTHALATE'. FOOD AND CHEMICAL TOXICOLOGY, 28 (6), pp. 427-434.
- Hakansson H, Zilliacus J, Hanberg A, Blaauboer B, Galli CL, Moretto A, Price S, Kahl R. (2011) 'Training of risk assessors in Europe'. ELSEVIER IRELAND LTD TOXICOLOGY LETTERS, Paris, FRANCE: 47th Congress of the European-Societies-of-Toxicology 205, pp. S262-S262.
- Hakansson H, Zilliacus J, Hanberg A, Blaauboer B, Galli CL, Moretto A, Price S, Kahl R, Daskaleros P, Mecklenburg L, Purdel C, Waetjen W. (2011) 'Training of risk assessors in Europe'. ELSEVIER IRELAND LTD TOXICOLOGY LETTERS, Paris, FRANCE: 47th Congress of the European-Societies-of-Toxicology 205, pp. S34-S34.
- Matar H, Price SC, Chilcott RP. (2010) 'Protective effects of clothing on the in vitro absorption of chemical warfare agents'. ELSEVIER IRELAND LTD TOXICOLOGY, Herriot Watt Univ, Edinburgh, ENGLAND: 2010 Annual Spring Meeting of the British-Toxicological-Society 278 (3), pp. 344-344.
- Larner J, Jones DR, Price SC, Chilcott RP. (2010) 'Modified static diffusion cells for decontamination modelling'. ELSEVIER IRELAND LTD TOXICOLOGY, Herriot Watt Univ, Edinburgh, SCOTLAND: 2010 Annual Spring Meeting of the British-Toxicological-Society 278 (3), pp. 351-352.
- Benton M, Hinton RH, Price SC, Howarth JA. (2010) 'Subacute toxicity of mixtures containing perfluorocarboxylic acids and related "peroxisome proliferators"'. ELSEVIER IRELAND LTD TOXICOLOGY, Herriot Watt Univ, Edinburgh, ENGLAND: 2010 Annual Spring Meeting of the British-Toxicological-Society 278 (3), pp. 375-376.
- Jones DR, Larner J, Price SC, Chilcott RP. (2010) 'Optimisation of mass casualty decontamination procedures in vitro'. ELSEVIER IRELAND LTD TOXICOLOGY, Herriot Watt Univ, Edinburgh, SCOTLAND: 2010 Annual Spring Meeting of the British-Toxicological-Society 278 (3), pp. 363-364.
- Matar H, Price SC, Chilcott RP. (2010) 'Temporal effects of disrobing on the skin absorption of chemical warfare agents and CW agent simulants'. ELSEVIER IRELAND LTD TOXICOLOGY, Herriot Watt Univ, Edinburgh, ENGLAND: 2010 Annual Spring Meeting of the British-Toxicological-Society 278 (3), pp. 344-345.
- Dietrich DR, Vermeulen NPE, Price S, Guentert TW. (2009) 'European Modular Education and Training Programme in Safety Sciences for Medicines (SafeSciMET)'. ELSEVIER IRELAND LTD TOXICOLOGY LETTERS, Dreden, GERMANY: 46th Congress of the European-Societies-of-Toxicology 189, pp. S266-S267.
- Larner J, Matar H, Jones DR, Amlot R, Carter H, Turner EA, Price SC, Chilcott RP. (2009) 'Whole-body imaging of UV-fluorescent chemical warfare simulants: A potentially quantitative technique for the optimisation of mass casualty decontamination procedures'. ELSEVIER IRELAND LTD TOXICOLOGY, Univ Warwick, Coventry, ENGLAND: Annual Congress of the British-Toxicological-Society 262 (1), pp. 17-17.
- Hanlon N, Howarth JA, Hinton RH, Taylor A, Price SC. (2006) 'Does the size of zinc oxide particles affect their cutaneous toxicity?'. ELSEVIER IRELAND LTD TOXICOLOGY, Univ Bath, Bath, ENGLAND: Autumn Meeting of the British-Toxicology-Society 219 (1-3), pp. 237-238.
- Price SC, Howarth JA, Kentish PA, Hinton RH. (2004) 'Effects of combinations between acrylamide and the established thyrotoxins BHT and methimazole on the liver and thyroid'. ELSEVIER SCI IRELAND LTDTOXICOLOGY, Heriot Watt Univ, Edinburgh, SCOTLAND: BTS 2004 Annual Congress 202 (1-2), pp. 74-75.
- Chilcott R, Price S. (2008) Principles and Practice of Skin Toxicology. Wiley
Written by authorities in the field, this book provides a “bottom up” approach tostudying skin toxicology.
Fellow of the British Toxicology Society
Fellow of the Society of Biology
Fellow of the Higher Academy of Education
Member of the British Society of Toxicological Pathologists Member of the UK Register of Toxicologists Member of the In Vitro Toxicology Society