UK in a Changing Europe
Professor Simon Usherwood was Deputy Director of the ESRC's "UK in a Changing Europe" programme from 2017 to 2019, contributing evidence-led, impartial inputs to the debate surrounding the UK's withdrawal from the EU.
As well as his own specific research on the social media campaigns during the referendum and the negotiating processes since then, Simon has also been very active with many other items of public engagement. This has included:
- Oral and written evidence to parliamentary select committees
- Briefings to politicians and civil servants in the UK and overseas, as well as to national and international journalists, and organisations including Universities UK and the National Council of Voluntary Organisations
- Training sessions to the Foreign Office
- Written commentaries for European think tanks, such as the Konrad Adenauer Stiftung
- Op-ed pieces for outlets including The Telegraph, Politico and China Global Television Network
- Interviews to journalists around the world, including Guardian, Financial Times, New Statesman, BBC News Channel, BBC Radio 4, 5Live & World Service, LBC, CNN, Euronews, CNBC and Al Jazeera
- Multiple invited talks to universities, including Göttingen, Bologna, Edinburgh, Leiden, Angers and Queen’s
- Participation in a public events
- Over 200 blog posts across Europe
- A vlog series on Brexit
- Extensive activity on Twitter.
Research groups and centres
Our research is supported by research groups and centres of excellence.