Privately rented accommodation
If you choose to live in private student accommodation during your time at Surrey, you have plenty of options available in Guildford and the local area.
Secure your accommodation
There are plenty of private accommodation options available in and around Guildford.
Your first step in finding accommodation – join Roome! Roome have created a platform exclusively for University of Surrey students, to search and advertise rooms and properties, as well as form groups.
Whether you are looking for extra members to join your group in your search or you would like to join one, Roome offers a matching system to find the best match for you.
Purpose-built student accommodation (PBSAs)
Have a look at the following accommodation located very close to the University of Surrey:
- Scape: located next to the University on Walnut Tree Close – a five-minute walk to Stag Hill campus. Studios start from £260pw*
- Guilden Village: located in Stoke Park, Guildford, with a free shuttle bus running between Guilden Village and the University. En-suite from £205pw*
- Bankside and Ash Grove: both located close to the Stag Hill campus (less than five minutes’ walk). From £235pw*
- The Bridge: located in the centre of Guildford – just a 12-minute walk to the university. From £205pw*
- UniLife: located next to the University on Walnut Tree Close – five-minute walk to Stag Hill campus. From £250pw*
* Prices from providers' websites August 2023, and do not reflect availability
Other accommodation options
- Renting a room in house or flat shares with other students
- Renting a property as a group (or family)
- Renting a studio and one-bedroom property on your own
- Renting a room with a resident landlord, which involves sharing facilities with them as their lodger.
Landlords and lettings agents mainly advertise on:
University of Surrey Student Union
Contact the friendly advice team at the University of Surrey Students' Union, who can support you with any questions you have about renting in the private sector. Here’s how they can help:
- Explain your rights when dealing with local landlords and the University.
- Help advise when dealing with landlords and estate agents.
- Checking through your contracts
- Signpost you to additional services
If you need to get in touch with them, please email email@example.com or visit:
Located on Stag Hill campus, within the Student’s Union building. The team can offer advice with finding accommodation in the private sector.
Be fraud aware
Sadly there are those who do take advantage of students searching for housing, and if something looks to good to be true, then it probably is. If you are unsure, then please contact the Students’ Union or Hoods Residential who can double check your property offer for you.
If you've got any questions or concerns about looking for or living in off-campus student accommodation, the University of Surrey Students' Union can help. They have lots of useful housing information online or you can email, call or drop-in during office hours.
Top tips for finding private accommodation
- Make sure you take your time to find the accommodation for you, as it will have a big impact on your time at university. You might prefer to live with a resident landlord, or house share with a group of other people.
- Use a budget calculator to work out what you can afford. Take into account that utility bills are usually not included and you will have to take out content insurance to protect your belongings.
- Choose the right location. As Guildford is a highly competitive area for student accommodation, you should also consider nearby towns that all have good transport links to the University.
- Be prepared for viewings. Before you start looking, gather your references and make sure you understand the right to rent legislation.