Doctoral College Conference
The University of Surrey Doctoral College Conference 2018 will take place on Tuesday 3 and Wednesday 4 July, in the Austin Pearce Building.
The Doctoral College Conference is the flagship event for the University’s postgraduate (PGR) and early career researcher (ECR) community.
This two-day event is your chance to discover the research taking place at Surrey, meet your fellow researchers, and broaden your horizons, gaining valuable skills to enhance your career. It is an opportunity to gain experience of an academic conference, within a familiar and supportive environment.
The event is free of charge but you need to register online – sign up now
The conference will feature oral and presentations and posters by PGRs and ECRs from across the University’s three faculties, plus participants from international partner universities.
The keynote speakers for the conference have now been confirmed:
- Dr Lucy Bell examines Latin American ‘editoriales cartoneras’ - independent publishers who make books out of recycled cardboard.
- Professor Sara Faithfull researches challenges in early diagnosis and consequences of cancer treatment.
- Professor Ian Kitchen is Emeritus Professor of Neuropharmacology and was Associate Dean for Research & Enterprise.
- Sir Saeed Zahedi OBE is a leader in gait and biomimetic design to create innovative prosthetic solutions.
There will be workshops designed to support researchers to enhance their professional skills:
- Develop your networking skills with tips from the Institute of Directors
- Find out how to communicate your research impact, with the Community and Public Engagement team
- Enhance your career options, with advice from the Employability and Careers Service
- Check your work/life balance, with the Centre for Wellbeing
We are holding a Networking Dinner on the evening of Tuesday 3 July, featuring a stand-up comedy show by Bright Club. The event is free of charge but you need to sign up online.
Elevator Pitch competition
Our Elevator Pitch competition gives you 60 seconds to show us how you are breaking new ground – and the chance to win a cash prize! The competition takes place at 3.30pm on Wednesday 4 July. No need to submit an abstract – just register online.
Breaking New Ground
The theme for this year’s conference is Breaking New Ground. The event will showcase the many ways in which PGRs and ECRs across the University are breaking new ground with their research. This could be by challenging a previous research paradigm, trialling a new methodology, or exploring a new subject area. The conference will also consider the potential for groundbreaking interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary approaches.
Call for papers
The call for papers is now closed and all presenters have been contacted. The presentation schedule will be circulated by the end of May. If you have any queries about your presentation at the conference please email email@example.com.
The conference committee is seeking volunteers to get involved with the 2018 conference. This is your chance to support Surrey’s research community, expand your network, and gain new skills and experience to enhance your CV.
We are looking for people to assist with planning the conference, and to help out during the event. Specific opportunities for ECRs include judging conference competitions and chairing conference sessions.
For more details please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Doctoral College Conference Committee
The Doctoral College Conference is organised by a committee drawn from the PGR and ECR community. To contact the committee please email email@example.com