Doctoral College Conference
The Doctoral College Conference is the flagship event for the University’s postgraduate (PGR) and early career researcher (ECR) community.
This annual two-day event is your chance to discover the research taking place at Surrey, meet your fellow researchers, and broaden your horizons, gaining valuable skills to enhance your career. It is an opportunity to gain experience of an academic conference, within a familiar and supportive environment.
2019 Doctoral College Conference
BRIDGING THE GAP
Presenting – Connecting – Networking – Collaborating
Planning is fully underway for this year’s Doctoral College Conference! This unique flagship event is organised by and specifically for PGRs and ECRs -- and that means YOU!
The theme for this year’s conference is Bridging the Gap, and so will focus on research that
- fills the knowledge gap by pushing boundaries, shifting paradigm and challenging perceptions
- connects theory and practice in creative and innovative ways
- bridges the divide between disciplines in thought-provoking explorations
- fosters partnership through networking and collaboration
- reaches out to inform, shape and influence the world beyond academia
But, the conference will be about more than just the showcasing of research. It will also be about connecting researchers, fields of study, disciplines and research strategies -- formally through themed presentations, and informally during supporting events.
There will be a lively interactive networking session hosted by the Institute of Directors, a wine reception for more relaxed conversations, and the Networking Dinner, enlivened by another entertaining performance from The Bright Club.
New to the programme this year are workshops aimed at bridging the gap between first and final years of the PhD program and another looking at bridging the gap between completing the PhD and world that lies beyond it.
There are many ways you can be part of this exciting event. You can
- Attend the conference to hear, share, connect and network
- Submit a proposal for an oral or poster presentation
- Participate in the Elevator Pitch Competition
- Take part in the Bright Club performance
- Volunteer your skills and talents to the committee
- All of the above!
We’d love you to join us
IT JUST WON’T BE THE SAME WITHOUT YOU!
To book your place, go to: https://surrey.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/bridging-the-gap-registration
GET IN TOUCH, STAY IN TOUCH
For more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Twitter @SurreyDocCol
This year’s Doctoral College Conference Committee is
Claudia Davidson (Chair)
Lisa Pomford (Vice-Chair)
Maryamolsadat Mirhadizadeh (Programme Officer)
Dr. Hannah Newman
David Gyorfi (Treasurer)
Call for Papers
The theme of this year’s conference is ‘Bridging The Gap’, with a focus on cutting-edge research that fills knowledge gaps, bridges the divide between disciplines, fosters partnership and collaboration and/or speaks to the wider world in meaningful ways.
We are therefore inviting submissions within the following sub-themes:
- Filling the knowledge gap - innovative research that pushes boundaries, shifts paradigms, and has the potential to reshape the research landscape in some way.
- Connecting theory and practice – research that explores praxis in creative and thought-provoking ways.
- Bridging the divide – inter/multi/cross-disciplinary research that brings together bodies of knowledge from different disciplines to offer more holistic perspectives.
- Fostering partnership – collaborative research that brings a diverse range of researchers together in pursuit of a common goal.
- Reaching Out – research that aims to inform, shape and influence the world beyond academia.
We welcome abstracts from PGRs and ECRs in all disciplines, and from every level of research, whether just starting out or having recently completed their research project. The abstract can be for an oral presentation, a poster or a creative performance. Submission information and guidelines below.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: MONDAY 25 MARCH 2019.
- A 10-minute presentation followed by 5 minutes of questions and comments from the audience
- AV facilities for use of PowerPoint and similar functions will be available
- Posters to be no larger than A1 size, but can be in either portrait or landscape orientation.
- Poster presenters must be available to engage with viewers at the designated viewing times.
Applicants who wish to present their research as performance need to be aware that the Austin Pearce building may be unsuitable for some forms of performance and creative presentation. However, we will work with you to find an alternative and appropriate space e.g. Ivy Theatre.
TITLE OF PRESENTATION:
FORMAT (i.e. oral presentation. Poster, performance)
ABSTRACT (300 words max including references):
My research would be of interest to others in the following fields/disciplines:
- Please submit your abstract in Word format and name your file as follows: LastName_Name_Type of presentation e.g. Smith_Jane_ Poster
- Email your submission to email@example.com
If you have any questions regarding abstract submissions, or would need more information please contact the Conference Organising Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on @SurreyDocCol
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: MONDAY 25 MARCH 2019.
The 2018 conference was held on 3 and 4 July 2018, with the theme Breaking New Ground.
The event showcased the many ways in which PGRs and ECRs across the University are breaking new ground with their research. This could be by challenging a previous research paradigm, trialling a new methodology, or exploring a new subject area. The conference also considered the potential for ground-breaking interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary approaches.
The programme featured oral presentations and posters by PGRs and ECRs from the University’s three faculties, plus participants from international partner universities. There were also keynote speeches, workshops, social and networking events, and an Elevator Pitch competition.