Achieving a Step Change in Water Management at the University of Surrey
The University of Surrey is keen to become more sustainable in its day to day operations, and a key element of this is to understand, manage and reduce its water consumption.
The successful candidate will receive a generous stipend of £18,000 per annum throughout this time. Stipends are usually tax-free and DPs will also benefit from an additional £500 p.a. allowance for attendance at conferences etc. In addition to this, full-time tuition fees (£4,195) will be covered at the current Home/EU rate for the duration of the programme.
Guildford and the surrounding area are becoming constrained regarding long-term water supply, and as the University grows it is important this is done in a sustainable way. This project will help the University put in place a long term “Water Plan” to significantly reduce water consumption, and help it become more sustainable.
Aims of the studentship:
- To understand, proactively manage and significantly reduce the amount of water the University of Surrey uses.
- To reduce water consumption at the University by 40% from 2018 – 2023 (5 years).
- To investigate and implement a range of water saving methodologies and technologies, both well established and innovative.
- To develop the University’s “Water Plan”, forming a key strategic part of the University’s Sustainability Strategy and Plan.
- To reduce the University’s water costs.
Applicants should have (or expect to obtain by the start date) at least a 2:1 bachelors degree, and preferably a masters degree, in an appropriate discipline (e.g. engineering, material sciences, physics or related subject).
If English is not your first language, IELTS 6.5 or above (or equivalent) is required, with no sub-test score less than 6.
Open to European/UK students only.
How to apply
To apply for this project, please contact Mrs Deidre Richardson for an information pack that will include:
- A Project Brief;
- Information about the Centre for Environment and Sustainability;
- Details of the Practitioner Doctorate in Sustainability programme.
- Specific application instructions.