China Scholarship Council-Surrey Awards
Fully funded PhD studentships for outstanding Chinese students.
Start date1 October 2022
Funding sourceUniversity of Surrey and China Scholarship Council
Successful candidates will receive full cover of their tuition fee for overseas students for a duration of up to 48 months. Successful candidates will also receive a stipend as prescribed by the Chinese government, and international round trip air fare between China and the UK.
We are delighted to announce 10 fully funded PhD studentships for outstanding Chinese students.
Applications from all research areas at the University of Surrey are eligible to apply, and applications on the following research themes are particularly desirable:
- Artificial intelligence
- Communication systems
- Space and materials
- Infection and immunity
- Electrical and electronic engineering
- Computer vision
- Computer science.
The studentships offer you the opportunity to work with world class academics on exciting research projects that tackle major challenges.
Candidates applying for this award should:
- Be citizens of the People’s Republic of China, including overseas Chinese students who may be eligible for application subject to the China Scholarship Council policy at the time
- Hold an unconditional offer letter from the University of Surrey. Therefore, they should fulfil the relevant academic entry requirements set by Surrey, including a high level of English language proficiency
- Satisfy any other application criteria set out by the China Scholarship Council
- Acknowledge that they should return to China upon completion of their studies through the programme.
How to apply
You will need to take the following steps to apply for a China Scholarship Council–Surrey award:
1. Identify and speak to a prospective supervisor
Find a suitable PhD programme where you can explore related research areas, identify a prospective supervisor, and contact them to discuss a project.
2. Apply for a place on a postgraduate research programme
Once you have discussed your project with a prospective supervisor you will need to make an application for a place through the relevant course page.
Please make sure you indicate on your application that you are applying for the China Scholarship Council-Surrey award.
The deadline to apply for a place on a doctoral programme for this studentship award is 23:59 GMT on 12 January 2022 (7:59 GMT+8 13 January 2022).
3. Complete the China Scholarships Council-Surrey studentship application form
In addition to applying for a place on a postgraduate research course, you will also need to work with your prospective supervisor to complete the application form (doc). This is your application for funding and will be used to select successful candidates for funding. Please also refer to the guidance notes (PDF) which will assist you in filling in the application form.
Once you have completed your form, please submit it to email@example.com by the deadline of 23:59 GMT on 12 January 2022 (7:59 GMT+8 13 January2022). Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
4. Application review and selection
Your application will be independently reviewed and ranked by academic staff at the University of Surrey. If your application is selected to be put forward for funding under this scheme, you will receive a bespoke funding offer and academic offer from the University of Surrey. Applicants will be informed of the outcome by 1 March 2022.
5. Application to the China Scholarship Council
If your application is selected, you will also need to prepare and submit an application directly to the China Scholarship Council. Details of how to do this, along with the deadline, can be found on the China Scholarship website.