Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences studentship
We are pleased to announce that the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences studentship is now open for an October 2018 start. These studentships are available for high quality home/EU or international candidates.
Start date1 October 2018
This studentship includes a tuition fee waiver (home/EU or international) and a maintenance stipend at current research-council rates for a full-time PhD.
Funding sourceUniversity of Surrey
Studentships will be awarded on the basis of the academic excellence of both the candidate and the research proposal or your supporting statement, in the case of Economics. This is an extremely competitive process and only very high calibre candidates will be successful. Candidates who apply to our Research Council Doctoral Partnership schemes (TECHNE and SeNSS) are automatically considered for our internal studentships as well (there is no need to apply twice).
In addition to the studentship support, all postgraduate research students will have access to:
- Professional development and skills support through the Doctoral College’s Researcher Development Programme
- At least £500 per year for research expenses
- Invitation to enrol on our PGCert in Higher Education
- Access to research seminars with visiting speakers and training appropriate to the discipline.
Consult our FAQ guide.
To be eligible for this studentship you must provide evidence of:
- Professional experience that is relevant to your application
- Evidence of suitable academic history
- Meet the minimum entry requirements for your intended course of study.
How to apply
1. Identify and speak to a supervisor
Every departmental webpage on the FASS website has a list of staff details. Please browse staff member details to identify a prospective supervisor and make contact with them. An email is usually a good way to start a conversation. If you cannot identify a suitable staff member or do not get a reply, you should contact the PGR Director for the department to express your interest in pursuing a PhD.
2. Apply for a place on a PhD programme
To be considered for a studentship, you first need to apply for a place on one of the following PhD courses:
- PhD Creative Writing
- PhD Dance
- PhD Digital Media Arts
- PhD English Literature
- PhD Film Studies
- PhD Hospitality and Tourism Management
- PhD Law
- PhD Linguistics
- PhD Literary and Cultural Studies
- PhD Management and Business
- PhD Music
- PhD Politics
- PhD Sociology
- PhD Sound Recording
- PhD Theatre
- PhD Translation and Interpreting
3. Complete a studentship application
If you are applying to the following departments, and not applying for SeNSS or TECHNE, please use the FASS Studentship Form: Hospitality and Tourism; Sociology; Politics; Music and Media, Guildford School of Acting; and Literature and Languages.
The completed form should then be submitted as part of your online PhD application as the ‘Research Proposal’.
If you are applying to Law or Surrey Business School then your application for a studentship will be considered based on the information you provide when applying for a place.
Both your application for a PhD place and your studentship application must be submitted by the dates below (late submissions will not be considered):
- 21 January 2018 – Hospitality and Tourism
- 28 January 2018 – Literature and Languages, Guildford School of Acting, Music and Media
- 18 March 2018 – Politics, Law, Sociology, Surrey Business School
In the first instance, we recommend you contact a potential supervisor to discuss your PhD proposal in your subject’s school. If you have any general questions concerning our studentship schemes, please contact us.