Call for papers
All who are interested in shell and spatial structures including engineers, architects, educators, researchers and practitioners are invited to participate in the conference. The language of the conference is English. We are taking abstract submissions until 15 February 2020 (extended from 31 January).
- Abstract submission - 15 February 2020 (extended from 31 January)
- Abstract acceptance - to be confirmed
- Full paper submission - 30 April 2020
- Full paper acceptance - 31 May 2020
One-page A4 abstract submissions are due by 15 February 2020.
How to submit your abstract
Submissions must be uploaded to the Symposium’s Easychair website for review by following the instructions on how to make a submission. Please note that abstract submissions should follow the provided abstract template guidelines (Word Doc).
If you are applying for the Hangai Prize, please submit your one-page abstract via the same procedure as described above and check the 'Abstract for Hangai Prize application' option at the 'Other Information and Files' box.
Find more information regarding the Hangai prize.
Please note: Individuals are limited to a maximum of two accepted papers per registration.
All one-page abstracts will be subject to peer review by members of the Symposium’s Scientific Committee. Authors of submitted abstracts that are accepted after the peer review process are guaranteed participation in the IASS 2020 Surrey 7 Symposium if they submit correctly formatted full papers and have a valid registration.
Full paper submissions
- 21st Century Fabrication and Construction of Shells (Organiser: IASS WG 5, Sigrid Adriaenssens and Philippe Block)
- Tension and Membrane Structures: Recent Developments in and around the United Kingdom (Organiser: IASS WG 6, Ken'ichi Kawaguchi, Marijke Mollaert and Krishnan Sudarshan)
- High-performance Membrane Buildings and Challenges (Organiser: Wujun Chen and Jianhui Hu)
- Metal Gridshell Structures, Connections, and Stability (Organiser: IASS WG 8, Su-duo Xue, Shiro Kato, Charles J. Gantes and Carlos Lazaro)
- Dynamic Response of Metal Spatial Structures (Organiser: IASS WG 8, Su-duo Xue, Shiro Kato, Charles J. Gantes and Carlos Lazaro)
- Bio-Based Concepts Inspiring the Spatial Structures and Architecture of the Next Generation (Organiser: IASS WG 12, Minjuan He and Andreas Falk)
- Formian in the Design Activity of Architects and Engineers (Organisers: Janusz Rębielak and Koichiro Ishikawa)
- Optimization Methods for Analysis and Design of Roof Structures (Organiser: IASS WG 13, Ruoqiang Feng and Makoto Ohsaki)
- Next Generation Parametric Design (Organiser: IASS WG 13, Jeroen Coenders)
- Transformable Structures (Organiser: IASS WG 15, Niels de Temmerman)
- Conservation and Preservation of 20th Century Historic Concrete Shells (Organisers: Marisela Mendoza and John Chilton)
- Tactile Strategies for Teaching Spatial Structures (Organiser: IASS WG 20, Olga Popovic Larsen and S. Alireza Behnejad)
- The Future of Structural Design - Symbiosis in Architecture and Structural Engineering (Organisers: Lars De Laet and Klaas De Rycke)
Get in contact
Please email the conference team with any questions.