Shape Your Surrey survey privacy notice
The University of Surrey is registered as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (our notification number is Z6346945), and we are committed to ensuring that the data we process is handled in accordance with data protection legislation.
We have a Data Protection Officer who can be contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org.
One of our responsibilities is to tell you about the different ways we collect and use your personal data. This statement provides details about these uses. In addition to this statement, you may be given further information about the uses of your personal data when you use certain services offered by the University of Surrey.
To make the survey as easy as possible to complete, some data that you have already supplied to the University is preloaded.
This data is about your:
- Fee status
- Year of birth
If you have any questions about your pre-loaded data, please contact email@example.com.
Please be aware that in your open comments in the survey, you may be inadvertently identifying yourself. However, this does not change how the data will be processed. If you are concerned about data which could identify you being shared with our partners, then please take care in the wording of your open comments.
For any concerns about your open comments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your data will only be shared with i-graduate who will analyse your answers and share them back with the University.
Your responses will also be anonymously aggregated with other student responses to provide averages for benchmark results for comparison.
All the data we gather from the survey will be kept for 10 years after the survey closes, however we will remove any identifying information one year after the survey closes.
As an individual whose data we process (a data subject), you have certain rights in relation to the processing. Find detailed information about your rights as a data subject.
You have the right to:
- Withdraw your consent for us to process your personal data where we have relied on that consent as our basis for processing your data.
- Ask us to confirm that your personal data is being processed and to access (i.e. have a copy) of that data as well as to be provided with supplemental information about the processing.
- Request that we rectify any inaccuracies where the data we hold on you is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Have your data erased by us, although in certain circumstances we may not be able to do this. The circumstances where this applies can be found in the guide to data subject rights information.
- Restrict the processing of your personal data in certain ways.
- Obtain your personal data for reuse.
- Object to certain processing of your personal data.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights please contact email@example.com.
Details on university-wide measures surrounding IT security can be found in Our Data Policy Statement (PDF) (incorporating Information Security Policy).
Make a complaint
If you have any concerns about the way that we have handled your personal data please email the Data Protection team as we would like to have the opportunity to resolve your concerns.
If you’re still unhappy, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (an independent body set up to advise on information rights for the UK) about the way in which we process your personal data.