University Choice Survey respondent privacy notice
The University of Surrey is registered as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (our notification number is Z6346945), and we are committed to ensuring that the data we process is handled in accordance with data protection legislation.
We have a Data Protection Officer who can be contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org.
One of our responsibilities is to tell you about the different ways we collect and use your personal data. This statement provides details about these uses. In addition to this statement, you may be given further information about the uses of your personal data when you use certain services offered by the University of Surrey.
The information that we ask you to provide in the survey is designed so that it will not identify you individually. The data collected is to be used in analysis to provide overall trends of views and sentiment of groups of respondents. If you choose to provide additional information that could identify you, this will not be included in our analysis of the responses.
We will collect your email address if you choose to enter into the Prize Draw. This will not be linked to your survey responses in the analysis and will only be used to contact you for the stated purpose.
Depending on your explicit responses in the survey, we will only use your email address to:
- Notify you that you are a winner in the optional Prize Draw
We process your data with your consent when you provide your:
- Email address to us to enter the Prize Draw
We collate the responses you make to this survey so that we only use the data in a way that can’t identify individuals and do not use your responses to seek to identify you.
If you provide us with an email address, we will store this securely for the periods set out below.
In order to consider you for the Prize Draw, where you give us your email address, we will hold your details along with other entrants.
When the draw is made, ten winning email addresses will be selected at random using a computer process and used to contact the winner regarding the collection of their prize.
The University processes personal data and special category data in accordance with data protection legislation and Our Data Policy Statement (PDF) (incorporating Information Security Policy).
If you give us an email address in order to be entered into the Prize Draw, we will keep your details until the Prize Draw process is complete, in line with the Terms and Conditions of the draw.
This means that, if you are a winner, your name and email address will be held for a further 14 days from the date of the draw stated in the Terms and Conditions, or until you have responded to claim your prize. All other entrants’ details will be deleted/destroyed once all of the prizes have been claimed, so that we can use them to select further winners in the event that a prize cannot be claimed.
The information that you provide to us will not be shared outside the University’s Market Insight team, who administer the survey and the Prize Draw. It will not be shared with any third parties.
As an individual whose data we process (a data subject), you have certain rights in relation to the processing. You can find detailed information about your rights as a data subject on the University’s webpage.
You have the right to:
- Withdraw your consent in circumstances where we are processing your personal data on that basis
- Ask us to confirm that your personal data is being processed and to access (i.e. have a copy) of that data as well as to be provided with supplemental information about the processing
- Request that we rectify any inaccuracies where the data we hold on you is inaccurate or incomplete
- Have your data erased by us, although in certain circumstances we may not be able to do this, for example, where we must comply with a legal obligation or in managing your health and social care. The circumstances where this applies can be found in the data subject rights information on the University’s webpage
- Restrict the processing of your personal data in certain ways
- Obtain your personal data for reuse
- Object to certain processing of your personal data.
To exercise any of these rights, please contact email@example.com.
If you have any concerns about the way that we have handled your personal data, please contact us as we would like to have the opportunity to resolve your concerns. If you’re still unhappy, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. Please see their website at: https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/.