Using the language study area
Discover what resources are available and where to go.
Access and support
The language study area is on Level 2 of the Library and Learning Centre.
To access the area:
- Enter the library on Level 1 (you will need your student ID/visitor card to enter the library)
- Take the stairs to level 2
- Follow the language study signs to the far-left corner.
The Library is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. For general library enquiries, staff are on hand to help you (on Level 1): Monday to Friday between 8am to 8pm and at weekends between 2pm to 6pm.
Please note: helpdesk times may vary out of semester.
You can find resources by:
- Using Surrey Search
- Using the map in the language study area
- Browsing the shelves (all content is organised according to level and skills).
TV equipment and channels
The TVs in the language study area are all equipped with:
- DVD players
- Video cassette players
- Audio cassette players
There are four TVs with the following channels:
- RTPI for Portuguese
- RAI 3 for Italian
- ZDF for German
- TVE for Spanish.
Foreign language films
We have a large DVD collection which includes films, TV series, documentaries shelved in the DVD collection.
The DVDs have been given different covers to help you identify them:
Reference CDs and cassettes
Most CDs and cassettes are shelved within the study area however there are some restricted-use copies that are kept behind the helpdesk. Please ask at the desk and you will be able to borrow the item for use within the library. You will need to give your student ID/visitor card and return the item within our helpdesk hours.
We have software for many different languages and levels. You have free access to:
- 10 English language software packages designed to help improve your academic English skills.
- British Sign Language resources
- uTalk, a learning app with over 25 languages.