Techne studentship 2019 entry
Techne is a consortium of ten universities in London and the South East offering a rich and diverse training programme for doctoral students with a focus on interdisciplinarity and developing career potential both in and beyond higher education.
Competition funded project paying fees and stipend.
As a member of the techne Doctoral Training Partnership, University of Surrey students are eligible to apply for Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) studentships. Techne is a consortium of ten universities in London and the South East of England, offering a rich and diverse training programme for doctoral students with a focus on interdisciplinarity and developing career potential both in and beyond higher education. Techne’s training programme is enhanced by input and placement opportunities provided by Techne’s fifteen partner organisations (including the Barbican, Natural History Museum, The National Archives, UNICEF and Science Museum) in the cultural sector.
Techne offers a unique model for collaborative research skills training for postgraduate research students across ten higher education institutions (Royal Holloway University of London, Brunel University, Kingston University, Loughborough University, Royal College of Art, University of Brighton, University of Roehampton, University of the Arts London, University of Surrey and the University of Westminster). Techne’s vision is to produce scholars who are highly motivated and prepared for academic, public and professional life. Students will benefit from a diversity of training opportunities and be able to draw on supervisory expertise from across the Consortium
Studentships are awarded by Techne to the best students put forward by its member universities.
Open to home and EU candidates. Please see guidance on residency requirements outlined in the UK Research and Innovation's (UKRI) Terms and Conditions of Research Council Training Grants.
How to apply
It is not possible to directly apply to Techne for a studentship. Applications for students wishing to be based at Surrey must be made via the University. Your Techne application will therefore go through a two-stage process, being considered firstly by either the Department of Music and Media, Department of Politics, the School of Law, the Guildford School of Acting (GSA), the School of Literature and Languages or the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management to go forward to Techne and, if successful, secondly by a panel of subject specialists from Techne members.
You will need to take the following steps to submit an application for a studentship:
1. Identify and speak to a prospective supervisor: Within the School pages above you will find links to the staff lists. Use the lists to identify a prospective supervisor and contact them to discuss your project before submitting an application. You should also inform the PGR Director for the area that you are interested in applying for Techne funding. The PGR Directors are:
- School of Literature and Languages – Dr Allan Johnson
- Department of Music and Media – Professor Stephen Goss
- GSA – Dr Rachel Hann
- School of Law – Dr Hrafn Asgeirsson
- Department of Politics – Dr Emanuele Massetti
- School of Hospitality and Tourism Management – Dr Albert Kimbu.
2. Apply for a place on a Surrey postgraduate research programme: Once you have discussed your project with a prospective supervisor, you will need to make an application for a place on a postgraduate research programme. Please browse our course listings for a relevant programme. You can apply for a place by clicking the ‘apply now’ button on the relevant course page. The deadline for applying for a place on a postgraduate research programme is 23:59 GMT 11 December 2018.
3. Prepare a studentship application: Your prospective supervisor will inform you if you should make an application for a studentship. If you are selected to apply for a studentship, you will need to complete an application form via the Techne portal. Please refer to the guidance document when preparing your studentship application.
Studentship applications must be completed on the Techne portal by 23:59 GMT 18 January 2019.
4. After submission: Between 19 January and 20 February 2019, your studentship application will be considered by an internal panel. The highest quality applications will be put forward to Techne by 21 February 2019. Techne panels will review applications and ratify awards on 10 April 2019.