Futurelearn’s expression of interest privacy notice
We are registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office and we are committed to ensuring that the personal data we process is handled in accordance with data protection legislation. We have a named Data Protection Officer, Elizabeth Powis, who can be contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org.
One of our responsibilities is to tell you about the different ways we collect and use your personal data. This statement provides details about these uses. In addition to this statement, you may be given further information about the uses of your personal data when you use certain services offered by the University of Surrey.
We collect and process the following data about people we keep on our mailing list:
- Email address
- Year of birth
- Highest education level
We have this data about you on our mailing list because you provided it when completing Futurelearn’s expression of interest form.
The University collects only the data we need and we keep the data up to date and only for as long as it is needed.
We collect your personal data in order to inform you about the MA programme and invite you to webinars and events.
We take our obligations for data handling very seriously and it is therefore important for you to know that the lawful basis for us processing your information is with your consent, which has been provided by you to enable us to keep in contact with you about our course.
We keep personal data and any special category data for one year from date of application. This information is kept securely within the Parking Management System and held on secure servers within the UK. Access to the Parking Management System is password restricted and the data will only be viewed by us to process your application and manage your parking permit.
We do not hold paper copies of any application.
We do not share your information with any external party.
As an individual whose data we process (a data subject), you have certain rights in relation to the processing. Find detailed information about your rights as a data subject.
You have the right to:
- Withdraw your consent for us to process your personal data where we have relied on that consent as our basis for processing your data.
- Ask us to confirm that your personal data is being processed and to gain access (i.e. have a copy) of that data as well as to be provided with supplemental information about the processing.
- Request that we rectify any inaccuracies where the data we hold on you is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Have your data erased by us, although in certain circumstances we may not be able to do this. The circumstances where this applies can be found in the guide to data subject rights information.
- Restrict the processing of your personal data in certain ways.
- Obtain your personal data for reuse.
- Object to certain processing of your personal data.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights please visit our make a privacy request section.
Make a complaint
If you have any concerns about the way that we have handled your personal data please email the Data Protection team as we would like to have the opportunity to resolve your concerns.
If you’re still unhappy, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (an independent body set up to advise on information rights for the UK) about the way in which we process your personal data.