Five reasons to study a course in music and media at Surrey
Subject leaders reveal what makes our degrees in music and media different and the secret behind our graduates' success.
1. Industry-standard facilities
Our outstanding facilities are housed in the Performing Arts and Technology Studios, purpose-built to acoustic specifications and fitted with professional studio equipment. Facilities include:
- Newly refurbished PATS Studio ONE – large enough for a full orchestra and Choir to perform and record. Also equipped with a permanent large-scale projector and screen.
- Comprehensively equipped synthesiser room - MOOG Sound Lab UK
- Control rooms with Studer Vista digital console, Pyramix recording and editing system, 56-channel SSL 9000K series console, 48-channel Pro Tools HDX system, 48-track hard disk-based recorder
- Five edit suites with a range of analogue and digital recorders and digital audio workstations, including, Pro Tools HD, Apple Logic Pro, Pyramix, and SADiE
- Extensive range of more than 100 microphones, our ITU BS-1116 standard listening room, 16 Apple Mac Pro workstations, mobile recording vans and an assortment of measurement and test equipment
- Nine music practise rooms
- Steinway Concert D Grand Piano
- Fibre optic cabling connecting PATS Studio ONE and TV studio
- TV Studio complete with EVS XT2 live playback system and Sony MVS8000G Vision Mixer, as used on the BBC’s Strictly Come Dancing.
2. Industry Links and Professional Training Year opportunities
We are home of the Institute of Sound Recording, the prestigious ‘Tonmeister’ programme, and the MOOG Sound Lab UK. We host regular lectures from visiting industry professionals and artists, including ensemble in residence Trifarious, conductor Russell Keable, Jim Abbiss, Engineer/Producer and Michael Price, Composer/Producer & Music Editor.
Our department is located in Guildford, the heart of the UK gaming industry, with EA Games and Ubisoft headquarters close by.
We're focused on equipping emerging talent with the creative and technical skills needed for a future career, including offering a Professional Training placement with links to:
- Abbey Road Studios
- Air Studios
- Dolby Laboratories
- Royal Academy of Music
- The ACM
- Arena TV
- The BBC.
3. Exceptional teaching
We believe in an interdisciplinary approach, delivering a unique combination of technical and scientific study, professional operational knowledge and creative study.
Our staff have industry experience, having recorded with a multitude of record labels including EMI, and Virgin Classics, and coordinating large events from Glastonbury to the BBC Proms. Award-winning staff have worked with artists from Stereophonics to Shirley Bassey, and on soundtrack albums including ‘Star Wars’ and ‘Back to Titanic’.
On the media side, we benefit from staff experience in running the Games Department at the National Film and Television School, consultants for Sony and Universal Pictures, and technical support leads at some of the world’s largest film premieres, including 'Spiderman', 'Casino Royale', and the 'Harry Potter’ series.
4. A collaborative family that celebrates our students
Surrey has developed a vibrant creative community full of an enormous range of inspiring musical opportunities and activities for all students. The department runs a symphony orchestra, choir and chamber choir, which are supported by many more student ensembles. We hold weekly recitals and regular performances from students and visiting artists, including termly concerts held in Guildford Cathedral and local churches.
We celebrate our students' creativity with prize-givings, awards and annual showcases, proving the creative talents of our students to our industry partners and beyond.
5. Award-winning Graduate success
Joining our department puts you on the same path as our community of highly successful graduates, who have gone on to thrive in the music and media sectors.
Surrey’s Music and Media department has produced BAFTA, Grammy, EMMY and OSCAR-winning alumni, including Michael Price, Olga FitzRoy and Jim Abbiss. Find out more about our graduate successes.
Find out more about our programmes in Music, Music and Sound Recording, Creative Music Technology, Digital Media Arts, and Film and Video Production Technology.