Pre-Sessional English Language 5 weeks (PS5)
This course is for international students with an offer to study on a degree course with us, have achieved the IELTS overall condition with 0.5 lower in one specified skill or who have met their English language entry requirements and want to ensure they are fully prepared for their studies.
You will automatically be moved onto your degree course on successful completion of PS5, if this is condition of your offer. You will not need to take any additional external language tests, including IELTS.
- Critical research skills
- Study skills
- Writing extended essays
- Giving presentations.
Learning and teaching methods
- Reading and listening activities
- Speaking practice
- Group discussions
- Independent study
- One-to-one tutorials.
You will get access to our library including our language study area, home to language software, satellite TV, a large foreign film collection and books, CDs and DVDs.
To be eligible for our Pre-Sessional English Language 5 weeks (PS5) course you will need to:
- Have already accepted a degree offer with us
- Provide the latest UKVI IELTS (Academic) and UKVI PEARSON (Academic) test result taken within the last two years.
English language requirements
For visa purposes, the Pre-sessional course can only accept UKVI IELTS (Academic) and UKVI PEARSON (Academic) test result taken within the last two years.
If you are using this Pre-Sessional English Language 5 weeks (PS5) course to gain the relevant English language requirement for your degree course, you must have achieved:
- The Overall IELTS Academic score
- No lower than 0.5 in one skill only.
For students who are required to have a higher or lower IELTS Academic score for the degree offer condition, the minimum entry levels for all pre-sessional courses will be correspondingly higher or lower.
If you present multiple English test results, you will only be judged on the most recent test.
Example entry scores
Applicants who need an IELTS Academic 6.5 overall with no lower than 6.0 in each component for their degree course:
*or IELTS Academic 0.5 lower in one specified skill.
Applicants who need an IELTS Academic 6.5 overall with no lower than 6.0 in writing and 5.5 in all other components for their degree course:
**or IELTS Academic 0.5 lower in one specified skill.
Fees and funding
Price per person:
What these fees include
- 10% deposit: £220
- Remaining course fees: £1,980*
*We require the remaining fee to be paid four weeks before the course starts.
Throughout the duration of your studies it is likely that you will incur additional costs.
If you are being sponsored, evidence of this must be supplied to us after your initial application is made, via the applicant portal.
This has to be issued by an authorised officer of an official sponsoring body and have a recent date of issue. This should be on company headed paper and should clearly state:
- Your name and university number
- The programme for which you have been offered a place
- The level of fees that will be paid by the company
- The address the invoice should be sent to
- That the fees will be paid directly to the University of Surrey.
How to apply
Applications for this course are online. We would advise you to apply as soon as possible as places are limited.
Applications typically close four weeks before the start of the course, or earlier if we reach a maximum number of applications. If we still have spaces on the course, we may extend the application deadline date.
Applications will be online and you will be required to upload the following documents as evidence:
- Evidence of your English language level:
- If the PSE course is taught on campus, and you require a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) for a Student visa, you will need to supply an UKVI IELTS (Academic) or UKVI PEARSON (Academic) report
- If the PSE course is taught online (not hybrid), we can accept a variety of English language tests taken within the last two years. Please see the full list: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/apply/international/english-language-requirements
- A valid colour copy of your passport or EU National Identity card (valid for international travel)
- A copy of your sponsorship letter (if you are a sponsored student).
Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
University can only issue a CAS number to cover the part of the course which takes place in person. At the end of the pre-sessional course, in order to apply for a Student visa for your degree course, you will need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), a unique reference number, which is confirmation of your unconditional offer to study with us. A 10% deposit or proof of sponsorship for the total is necessary to receive a CAS and be accepted.
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the University's prospective student privacy notice.
The deposit or fees for the Pre-Sessional English Language 5 weeks (PS5) course, paid to the University, can only be refunded for one of the following reasons:
- Refusal of a student visa for overseas applicants, in the event that proof of a rejection is sent and the University can verify via the UKVI system that the individual has been rejected and refused entry to the UK
- The applicant has not met the conditions of their Pre-sessional course offer.
A £100 administrative payment which covers the administrative time as well as the cost of issuing a CAS certificate will be deducted.
- The University is unable to offer the Pre-sessional course
- The University closes the Pre-sessional course
- The University cannot fulfil its offer of a place for the Pre-sessional course.
A full refund of any paid course deposit or fee will be refunded.
This online prospectus has been prepared and published in advance of the commencement of the course. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to course content or additional costs) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the course. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a course with us. Read more.