Strategic Leadership for Healthcare
(Due to run in the 2020/21 academic year)
Attendance dates:To be confirmed
- Module code
This module invites you to critically review your assumptions about leadership and management and to reflect on your own and your organisation’s leadership practices. This will be achieved through exploring and analysing key leadership and management issues in health and social care, with the emphasis on challenging and debating contemporary theory and practice.
On successful completion of the module, you will be able to:
- Critically analyse current leadership issues within health and social care practice
- Critique key leadership theories, appreciating their theoretical underpinnings and evaluating their practice implications
- Take a broad view of the political, organisational and policy issues impacting the delivery of services
- Reflect critically on your own leadership style and impact.
Indicative module content includes:
- Theory and practice of strategic leadership
- Leading effective teams
- Understanding organisational culture and its impact on care delivery
- The politics of healthcare
- Staff welfare
- Emotional intelligence
Learning and teaching methods
The learning and teaching methods include:
- Interactive lectures
- Group discussions
- Experiential activities
A critical reflection on a leadership issue within the your own area of practice.
Word count: 3,000 words
Take a look at the module reading list.
- Ability to study at level 7
- Professional registration as a healthcare professional:
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Working in health and social care.
Fees and funding
How to apply
Please download and fill in an application form.
It is important to ensure that you complete all sections and answer all questions, incomplete forms will cause a delay and may result in you missing out on an available place.
Send your completed application back to us at the address or email included on the form.
Terms and conditions
When you accept an offer of a place at the University of Surrey, you are agreeing to comply with our policies and regulations and our terms and conditions. You are also confirming you have read and understood the University's prospective student privacy notice.
If your sponsoring healthcare provider is funding you for this module, by submitting an application you agree to allow all information regarding your module (for example your exam results) to be shared with the sponsoring provider.
If you withdraw less than seven days before the module commences or do not attend on the first day (without informing the module administrator) the full cost of the module will be charged. Withdrawals after the module commences will also be charged.
Places are confirmed approximately one month before the module start date. Please note that modules may be subject to teaching availability, student demand and/or class size caps.
Modules listed are indicative, reflecting the information available at the time of publication. The University of Surrey has used its reasonable efforts to ensure that the information is accurate at the time of publishing, but changes (for example to module content) may occur given the interval between publishing and commencement of the module. It is therefore very important to check this website for any updates before you apply for a module with us. Read more.