Welcome to the Department of Physics. The Department of Physics at the University of Surrey was founded in 1906 as part of the Battersea Polytechnic Institute. In 1966, the University of Surrey was granted its Royal Charter and the physics department moved to the Stag Hill Campus in Guildford. The department is home to 35 academic staff, 14 professional service staff, 13 research fellows, 500 undergraduate and postgraduate taught students, and over 60 postgraduate research students.
Based on the evidence available, the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) Panel judged that the University of Surrey delivers consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It is of the highest quality found in the UK.