What we are researching
Criminology and criminal justice
- Asset recovery, organised and syndicated crime
- Community, neighbourhood and intelligence-led policing
- Cyber and criminal justice system
- Criminal statistics
- Early intervention, anti-social behaviour and social control
- Ethnicity, community and identity
- Human rights
- Meta-analysis and realist evaluation techniques
- Methods for researching crime
- Prison effects and interventions with offenders
- Racism and hate crime
- Technology and surveillance, securitisation and biometrics
- Victims of crime and victimisation
- Youth justice
Developments in methodology
- Methodological research
- Development of social simulation methodology,
- Improvement of social measurement in social survey research
- Dissemination of good practice
- Analysis of the use made by researchers of qualitative data analysis software.
- Development and refinement of techniques of secondary analysis (both quantitative and qualitative)
- New online and web-based research methods
- Triangulation and exploring the complexities of multi-method methodologies in sociology
- Emerging technologies
- Data and platforms in contemporary mediated societies
- Internet of things
- Intersections of society
- Digital technology
- Youth cultures
- Peer-to-peer production
- Digital health
Science, environment and technologies
- Sociological frameworks
- Contemporary communications technologies
- Applications of computational technologies in the social and natural sciences
- Sociology of the environment and sustainability
- Sociology of knowledge production, dissemination and consumption in diverse settings cuts across these substantive foci
- Theoretical development and the explication of new methodological approaches
- Novel scientific and technological developments
Identities, diversities and the life course
- Community and belonging
- Environmental practices
- Ethnicities, race and migrations
- Generation and transition
- Health and well-being
- Later life and ageing.
- Sexual identities
- Sociology of sleep
- Student identities
- Youth subcultures
Find a course
We have a strong postgraduate research community, diverse research centres and a host of research training activities.
Vice-Chancellor's Studentship Award 2019
Funding information:This funded studentship (international students only) covers international fee and stipend of £15,000, a Research Training Support Grant of £1,000 and financial support for research materials and consumables (if successfully applied for) up to the value of £2,000 per annum.
Doctoral College Studentship Award 2019
Funding information:This competition funded studentship (UK and European students only) covers home/EU fees and stipend of £15,000, a research training support grant of £500 and financial support for research materials and consumables (if successfully applied for) up to the value of £1,000.
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Studentships
Funding information:A tuition fee waiver for home/EU or international students, with a maintenance stipend at current Research Council rates for a full-time postgraduate research course.
Further your studies
Full-time postgraduate research students have the opportunity to take modules from our MSc Social Research Methods and can attend in-house day courses in social research (about 20 per year), including the extensive range of courses run by the Computer Assisted Qualitative Data Analysis Software (CAQDAS) project.
What our students say
Read our student profiles to discover first-hand what it's like to study with us.