Top jobs with an electrical and electronic engineering degree
Find out how studying for a degree in electrical and electronic engineering at Surrey opens up a wide range of job and career opportunities.
Surrey is one of the UK’s leading universities for electrical and electronic engineering, with our courses ranked 9th in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022.
This means our electrical and electronic engineering graduates are highly sought after with 100 per cent in work or further education 15 months after graduating (Graduate Outcomes report 2021). This was a key factor in Surrey being named University of the Year for Graduate Employment in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022.
“Surrey’s always been a university that teaches with the end vocation in mind. The key study areas we offer are the ones most highly regarded by industry. I keep in touch with many of my past students on LinkedIn. I’m delighted to see them go out into industry and thrive.”
A degree in electrical and electronic engineering can help open the door to a range of careers. At Surrey, our graduates have gone on to roles including:
- Acoustic consultant
- Aerospace engineer
- Broadcast engineer
- CAD technician
- Design engineer
- Electrical engineer
- Electronics engineer
- IT consultant
- Multimedia programmer
- Network engineer
- Nuclear engineer
- Sound engineer
- Special effects technician
- Systems analyst
- Technical author.
“Surrey offers tremendous support and guidance in providing access to the best companies in the field. It’s incredibly important to have that kind of industry experience because the field progresses rapidly.”
At Surrey, we offer courses in leading future technologies, so graduates can explore careers in exciting new fields such as:
- 5G communications
- Artificial intelligence
- Nanotechnology and advanced electronics
- Robotics and machine learning
- Satellite and space systems.
“After my placement at IBM in my third year, I discovered early on in my fourth year that I'd secure a job if I achieved a 2:1 or above. Knowing this drove me to work even harder for my finals and I graduated with a first. I’m now on IBM’s graduate programme.”
Our graduate success stories
Here are just a few jobs secured by recent graduates:
- Application Developer at Citigroup
- Applications Engineer at Cirrus Logic
- Broadcast Software Engineer at Squared Paper
- Developer Evangelist at Pycom
- Electric Engineer at NCR
- Electronic Technician at York Instruments
- Graduate Digital Design Engineer at Dialog Semiconductor
- Graduate Engineer at Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd
- Graduate Software Engineer at Arm Holdings
- Live Event Engineer at Jonathan Grili
- Software Engineer at Qualcomm
- Software Engineer at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Speech Control Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover
- Testing Analyst at CGI.
“Studying here has not only built my professional and academic skills as a future engineer, but it’s shaped me as an individual. I now feel much more confident about achieving my goals.”
Further academic study
Many of our graduates go on to complete a masters degree or undertake PhD research, investigating an area of personal interest.