Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Studentships
A tuition fee waiver for home/EU or international students, with a maintenance stipend at current Research Council rates for a full-time postgraduate research course.
Funding sourceThe University of Surrey
These studentships are available for high quality Home/EU or international candidates.
Our offer includes:
- Tuition fees waiver (Home / EU or International)
- Maintenance (stipend) at current Research Council rates for a full-time PhD
- Invitation to teach and/or demonstrate.
In addition to the studentship support, all postgraduate research students in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences have access to:
- Professional development and skills support through the Doctoral College’s Researcher Development Programme
- At least £500 per year for research expenses
- Invitation to enrol on our PG Cert in Higher Education
- Access to research seminars with visiting speakers and training appropriate to the discipline.
To be eligible for this studentship you must provide evidence of professional experience that is relevant to your application, evidence of suitable academic history and also meet the minimum entry requirements for your intended course of study.
This studentship is available for the following courses:
- Creative Writing PhD
- Dance PhD
- Digital Media Arts PhD
- Economics (Four year) PhD
- English Literature PhD
- Film Studies PhD
- Hospitality and Tourism Management PhD
- Law PhD
- Linguistics PhD
- Literary and Cultural Studies PhD
- Management and Business PhD
- Music PhD
- Politics PhD
- Sociology PhD
- Sound Recording PhD
- Theatre PhD
- Translation and Interpreting PhD.
Studentships will be awarded on the basis of the academic excellence of both the candidate and the research proposal (or your supporting statement, in the case of Economics). This is an extremely competitive process and only very high calibre candidates will be successful. Candidates who apply to our Research Council Doctoral Partnership schemes (TECHNE and SeNSS) are automatically considered for our internal studentships as well. There is no need to apply twice if you do so.
How to apply
Identify and speak to a supervisor
Every department within the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences has a list of staff details. Identify a prospective supervisor and make contact with them, preferably by email. If you cannot identify a suitable staff member, you should contact the PGR Director for the department to express your interest in pursuing a PhD.
Apply for a place on a PhD course
To be considered for a studentship, you first need to apply for a place on a PhD programme at the University of Surrey. Based on your application, you may be invited for an interview. Please note that for some schools and departments there is a separate deadline for applying for a place on the PhD programme and for a studentship.
Complete a studentship application
If applying to study within the departments of Music and Media, Guildford School of Acting, and Literature and Languages, you will need to submit the relevant form. If you are applying to study within the departments of Hospitality and Tourism, Sociology or Politics, you will need to submit the following form.
The completed form should then be submitted as part of your online PhD application as the ‘Research Proposal’. If it is not possible to attach your studentship application in this way, please send it directly to the PGR Director in the relevant School or Department to which you are applying.
If you are applying to Law, Economics or Surrey Business School then your application for a studentship will be considered based on the information you provide when applying for a place.
Your application for a postgraduate research course and your studentship application must be submitted by the dates below (late submissions will not be considered):
Literature and Languages, Guildford School of Acting or Music and Media
- Application for a place on a postgraduate research course: 11 December 2018
- Application for studentship: 18 January 2019
Hospitality and Tourism
- Application for a place on the postgraduate research course and application for studentship: 20 January 2019
Economics, Law, Politics, Sociology or Surrey Business School
- Application for a place on the postgraduate research course and application for studentship: 17 March 2019.