Clearing 2023 prize draw privacy notice
The University of Surrey is registered as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (our notification number is Z6346945), and we are committed to ensuring that the data we process is handled in accordance with data protection legislation.
We have a Data Protection Officer who can be contacted via email@example.com.
One of our responsibilities is to tell you about the different ways we collect and use your personal data. This statement provides details about these uses. In addition to this statement, you may be given further information about the uses of your personal data when you use certain services offered by the University of Surrey.
MRA holds and processes personal data about prize draw entrants:
- Your email address
- If you are successful, we will collate the below:
- First/last name
- Address - to enable us to send the prize by post
The personal data we hold about you consists of the above and we only collect the data we need.
We receive this data from you when you:
- Sign up for Clearing 2023 updates.
- Two winners are chosen – the entrants will be notified via email.
If an individual is under the age of 18, they must provide consent from a parent or legal guardian - consent tick box included on the Microsoft form.
If the above data is not provided, it will not be possible to send the prize.
The University collects only the data we need, and we keep the data up to date and only for as long as it is needed. The winner’s name, email and postal address will be deleted once the prize is emailed or posted. It is important for you to know the lawful basis for us processing your information:
We process data because you give us your consent, specifically to participate in the Clearing 2023 prize draw.
We do not use the data we collect to make decisions about individuals or to analyse information on an individual level.
The University processes personal data in accordance with data protection legislation and its own University privacy notices | University of Surrey.
We track activity in the University’s legitimate interest via cookies/ other tools to obtain information about the way you access our services to analyse their effectiveness.
We retain your personal data until the prize draw is completed, at which point your data will be securely destroyed.
We take the security of the personal data we hold seriously. Details on university wide measures surrounding IT security can be found in the principal IT Security Policy which sets out the definition of, commitment to and requirements of Information Technology and Security.
We have internal policies and controls in place to try to ensure that your data is not lost, accidentally destroyed, misused or disclosed, and is not accessed except by our employees in the performance of their duties.
Where we engage third parties to process personal data on our behalf, they do so on the basis of written instructions contained within a contract, are under a duty of confidentiality and are obliged to implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure the security of data.
Internally, we share your personal data with
- Members of the Student Marketing Team who will conduct the prize draw and select the winner.
- A member of Student Marketing team, who will get in touch via email to acknowledge the winner.
As an individual whose data we process (a data subject), you have certain rights in relation to the processing. You can find detailed information about your rights as a data subject on the University’s webpage.
You have the right to:
- Withdraw your consent in circumstances where we are processing your personal data on that basis;
- Ask us to confirm that your personal data is being processed and to access (i.e. have a copy) of that data as well as to be provided with supplemental information about the processing;
- Request that we rectify any inaccuracies where the data we hold on you is inaccurate or incomplete;
- Have your data erased by us, although in certain circumstances we may not be able to do this, for example, where we must comply with a legal obligation or in managing your health and social care. The circumstances where this applies can be found in the data subject rights information on the University’s webpage;
- Restrict the processing of your personal data in certain ways;
- Obtain your personal data for reuse;
- Object to certain processing of your personal data.
To exercise any of these rights, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any concerns about the way that we have handled your personal data, please contact us as we would like to have the opportunity to resolve your concerns. If you’re still unhappy, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. Please see their website at: https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/.