Professional development opportunities in higher education
We offer a range of programmes, practical workshops and opportunities designed to support your professional development in higher education.
Our practical workshops are a great way to develop your knowledge and understanding.
Surrey Excellence in Teaching framework
The Surrey Excellence in Teaching framework provides two pathways for teaching and academic-related staff to progress to Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (HEA).
Higher education programmes
If you are new to higher education teaching (less than three years) you must take the Graduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching, accredited by the Higher Education Academy and leading to Fellow Status.
Associate Fellowship is awarded after completing modules 1 and 2 of the Graduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching and full Fellowship is awarded after completing all modules.
You also have the option of taking the MA or PhD in Higher Education which is open to both staff and external candidates.
Teaching and Learning Conversations webinars
Teaching and Learning Conversations (TLC) brings together colleagues from different disciplines, institutions and countries to discuss current topics in learning and teaching and share best practice.
- Webinars take place monthly on the last Tuesday of each month between 12 and 1pm
- Please access the webinar room approximately 30 minutes in advance of the scheduled start time to test the technology.
- A headset is required to participate fully in the webinar.
- Participants will be able to take an active role in the webinars by using audio, video, text and the whiteboard feature creatively.
View details of the programme, including links to recordings of past webinars and details of future webinars are available online.
Please feel free to share the link to the TLC programme and individual webinars with others who might also be interested.
How to join
- Go to the TLC webinar room
- To login, enter as a guest and add your name.
- When you have entered the webinar room, start the audio setup wizard under 'Meeting' at the top left to check your headset.
For more information on Teaching and Learning Conversations contact Dr Simon Lygo-Baker.